Peoria Grown believes in two fundamental principles:
1. Everyone should have access to affordable, healthy food
2. Education is the key to helping individuals be self-sufficient and improve community wellness.
With the funding from Bob Woolsey of Jones Bros Jewelers and Rotary Club of Peoria, Peoria Grown is adding vegetables and spices to our fresh fruit bags. In each of these bags, our dietitians will be providing recipes for our fresh ingredients that incorporate staples commonly received from food banks and pantries to create simple, healthy dishes.
The health issues that impact our lower income families continue to rise and have become even more critical during this crisis. Here's how you can support our efforts to combat food insecurity:
1. Donate- our goal is to pack 400 bags of fresh produce every month for the rest of the year. Each bag costs us around $8. Our goal - $32,000.
2. Volunteer- we need help packing and delivering these bags to food banks and local food pantries. Please email email@example.com if you're available to help.
3. Advocate and fundraise - be an advocate for Peoria Grown; help spread the word in the community and to other organizations. We always need help raising funds to continue our work, and we have found that we are the most effective when we tap into existing efforts and partner with groups with complementary goals.
4. Donate or sponsor fresh produce - as our name suggests, we would like to source from local farmers and community gardeners. If you are local farmer, community gardener, supplier or grocery store and have excess produce, please consider donating it to Peoria Grown. We would be more than happy to pick it up and add them to our bags for distribution. Nothing goes to waste!
Here is a link to a great article about hunger https://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/hunger/
Thank you for your interest in Peoria Grown!
Julie Eliathamby- Founder