Friends! For the last few months I have been volunteering at CAAAV, a grassroots nonprofit organization in NYC, to help fundraise for the annual Karaoke Battle. Last year, with the help of community support, we raised over $20,000! Our theme this year is inspired by our major win this year - the fight against Amazon coming to Queens! We beat Amazon, a huge corporation and the richest man in the world, which means we can liberate our wildest (revolutionary and movement) dreams!
CAAAV, the Committee Against Anti-Asian Violence, was founded in 1986 by Asian working class women in response to the hate violence on Asian communities and its root causes stemming from institutional racism in the United States.
In the past, they have:
- pressured the city to allocate $14 million to build parks and open green space accessible to Chinatown and Lower East Side residents along the East River Waterfront, rather than the original plan of high-end stores and private developments
- organized the Southeast Asian community in the Bronx to challenge the failed Welfare to Workfare programs, documented in the film, Eating Welfare
- advocated for the rights of street vendors in Chinatown that were targeted during former NYC Mayor Giuliani’s Quality of Life campaign
- worked in a city-wide coalition that pushed Mayor Bloomberg to sign an Executive Order providing language access for immigrant New Yorkers
- organized countless tenants to fight their landlords and stay in their homes
- developed the leadership of young people around a vision for social justice through organizing
Read more on https://caaav.org/about-us/history-of-caaav
Local grassroots organizations such as CAAAV are doing the important work of organizing low-income immigrant communities and they rely on your support!
For donations over $20, you will receive a personal note from me as well as a handmade articraft from Yunnan, China.
If we reach the fundraising goal $500, I will post a video of me singing on FB!