Simply put, Foundations of Emergency Medicine seeks to provide doctors in training with the best possible education to allow the best possible care of our high-need patient population.
Four years ago, Foundations of Emergency Medicine (FoEM) was launched with a mission to create a free, open-access, collaborative and comprehensive curriculum for doctors training to work in ERs around the country. Since that time, our content has tripled. Our contributors are nationwide. Our movement has impacted more than half of EM training programs across the country serving over 5000 learners. This movement is unparalleled within medical education.
The success of Foundations is reflected in feedback from our national survey of member sites showing 97% satisfaction for physician educators who implement our course content. Similarly, learners reported 91% satisfaction and 88% reported that Foundations content had a positive impact on their care of patients in the clinical environment.
- “Educational value across the board…”
- “Great format - continues to drive our curriculum forward (each and every year we've used it).”
- “The interns LOVE all the one on one time and a chance to ask questions. I feel like they are learning on a deep and substantial level.”
- “I like that I have structured learning with Foundations without my having to do all the background work to find good study materials. It is a relief to know that I am working through the key knowledge base of Emergency Medicine.”
- “It's reflective of the spectrum of what are actually beneficial ways for people to learn instead of expecting everyone to chew through dense textbooks.”
- “I like how interactive and fun the curriculum is. I have learned something new with every session and have left each day wishing that our sessions lasted longer.”
Our focus now is on sustainability and growth. Foundations of Emergency Medicine (FoEM) is supported by our new 501c3 non-profit organization Foundations of Medical Education, Inc (FoME). To maintain the quality of our content and to invest in new ideas and new learners, we need your support. Our grassroots effort has been largely self-funded and relies on volunteered time from physician educators. We are recruiting funding to invest in infrastructure, operations, outreach and contributor support. Importantly, we hope to build new content, connect with new learner types (medical students, advanced practice providers), expand internationally and, eventually, launch content for additional medical specialties (pediatrics, family medicine, internal medicine, etc).
Your donation will help us train the next generation of doctors to provide exceptional medical care to the millions of patients they will treat over their careers. So, a million times over, THANK YOU.