Last year my church (Beach Church Jax) decided to cancel church on the day of the donna so we could all go out and cheer for the runners. So myself and my family went out to cheer on the runners. While I loved being a cheerleader for the runners, I felt like God was calling me to do more. You see earlier in 2018 a friend of mine developed breast cancer and had to undergo treatment. This amazing woman is about the same age as my wife and her sons are about the same age as my own. It became apparent to me that what happened to her and her family could very easily happen to us. The good news for my friend is that she has a great family and a supportive community around her. While things were still hard even under these circumstances, they were blessed to have resources to lean upon during the season that my friend was going through treatment. However, not everyone is as fortunate. I am running this year to raise money for the Donna foundation because I am so grateful for this local organization that seeks to serve our community by:
1. Providing education and awareness programs corresponding to breast cancer
2. Empowering our scientists to find a cure for this horrific disease
3. Supporting those who find themselves facing a breast cancer diagnosis without the financial, familial or community support that my friend was so blessed with.
I am asking my friends, family, and church family members to partner with me during the 2019 run by:
1. Praying for those who are facing a breast cancer diagnosis and for those who are fighting this terrible disease.
2. Coming out on the day of the Donna and cheering all the runners on
3. Financially supporting me as I go for my fundraising goal of $100 / mile run.
To add some incentive to support me, I will commit to dying my hair pink for the run should my financial goal be met ;^)