There are so many reasons why I am thrilled to be joining TEAM ESPLANADE to run the 2020 Boston Marathon.
Being raised in the North End, watching the marathon on Patriots Day was a highlight for me every year growing up here. Cheering on the runners with friends and family and being a part of the city as it comes together, to me, truly encapsulates what I love about this special place, and what it feels like to call Boston home.
It has always been a dream of mine to make that left from Hereford onto Boylston and cross the finish line.
I also cannot think of a more personal cause for me than to support the Esplanade Association. As the Athletic Director for Hill House Boston, a non-profit community center located right near the Esplanade, I am spoiled that my work brings me to this great part of the city for almost all of our major programs. Whether it be our hundreds of youth soccer players in the fall or our Little League in the spring, local familes absolutey love spending time in this great natrual green-space and filling Teddy Ebersol's Red Sox Fields each season. As a former player in Hill House Little League myself, it's my honor and priviledge to give the same experiences, that taught me so many valuable lessons, back to the next generation of Bostonians. None of this would be possible without the Esplanade Association and what it provides all of our families that live in all of its surrounding neighborhoods.
Even more astounding is that this is just one of the many ways this great organization affects life for those living within the Greater Boston area. For those who are not familiar, the Esplanade Association (Esplanade.org) is a privately-funded non-profit organization whose work to revitalize, enhance, program, and maintain the park includes:
· HORTICULTURE: Caring for a lush canopy of trees, maintaining beautiful gardens, and leading 2,000 volunteers a year who help care for the park
· ARTS & CULTURE: Commissioning public art, including three new murals in 2019, and showcasing local musical acts on the Hatch Shell Stage
· HEALTH & FITNESS: Hosting seasonal 5Ks and dozens of free fitness classes, jointly caring for the Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields, and partnering to launch the B.A.A. & Esplanade Association Morning Run Club
· CHILDREN & FAMILIES: Building & maintaining two Esplanade playgrounds, hosting free field days for local summer camps, and hosting family-friendly events, tours, and scavenger hunts
· PARK ENHANCEMENTS: Installing new welcome signs with mileage maps, rehabbing historic monuments and park elements, and partnering to bring the popular Owl’s Nest beer garden to the park (a great place for a post-run refreshment!)
PLEASE help me further the Esplanade Association’s ability to care for the Esplanade and to make this beloved park a welcoming place for millions of visitors each year.
Support TEAM ESPLANADE!