I am so honored and excited to be back on TEAM ESPLANADE for the 2020 Boston Marathon!
For those who don't know, the Charles River Esplanade is one of the most vibrant, beautiful, and versatile parks in urban America. The Esplanade Association is a 100% privately-funded nonprofit organization that works to revitalize and enhance the park, to preserve natural green space, and build community by providing educational, cultural and recreational programs for everyone.
As someone who has utilized the park every day for years, and as a member of the Esplanade Association Friends Council, I have witnessed first hand the impact that this public space has on my community. All year round the Esplanade is the host for runners, sports leagues, youth camps, service projects, fitness classes, cultural events, bike commuters, stunning sunsets, and what feels like every dog in the city. And while an incredible number of Bostonians utilize this space every day, few are aware that it's privately funded and maintained.
So I am thrilled to be giving back to this organization that gives so much to my city, my neighborhood, and to my family. With our help, the Esplanade Association will continue to maintain the park, provide free community programming, and invest in a safe public space for families. It will also be the host of most of my marathon training, so please cross your fingers for a mild winter.
ESPLANADE ASSOCIATION INC wrote:
The Esplanade is the premiere running trail in Greater Boston. Every day of the year, thousands log their miles amidst the Esplanade’s gorgeous gardens, towering trees, and engaging events. Each winter and spring, the excitement builds for the Boston Marathon among runners who turn to the Esplanade’s riverfront pathways and footbridges as the setting for their training runs.
The 64-acre Esplanade has become a runner’s oasis and a park to be loved by all due to the public-private partnership between the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Esplanade Association.
The Esplanade Association (Esplanade.org) is a privately-funded nonprofit organization whose work to revitalize, enhance, program, and maintain the park includes:
· HEALTH & FITNESS: Hosting seasonal 5Ks and dozens of free fitness classes, jointly caring for the Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields, and partnering to launch the B.A.A. & Esplanade Association Morning Run Club
· CHILDREN & FAMILIES: Building & maintaining two Esplanade playgrounds, hosting free field days for local summer camps, and hosting family-friendly events, tours, and scavenger hunts
· HORTICULTURE: Caring for a lush canopy of trees, maintaining beautiful gardens, and leading 2,000 volunteers a year who help care for the park
· PARK ENHANCEMENTS: Installing new welcome signs with mileage maps, rehabbing historic monuments and park elements, and partnering to bring the popular Owl’s Nest beer garden to the park (a great place for a post-run refreshment!)
· ARTS & CULTURE: Commissioning public art, including three new murals in 2019, and showcasing local musical acts on the Hatch Shell Stage
Help further the Esplanade Association’s ability to care for the Esplanade and to make this beloved park a welcoming place for millions of visitors each year. Support TEAM ESPLANADE!