April 20, 2020 is shaping up to be a landmark day in my life - marking my 5-year anniversary of moving to Boston, my first full marathon, and my first time running in support of the Esplanade Association.
As a newcomer to Boston in 2015, my inaugural day in the city was spent moving into my new Beacon Hill apartment on, of all days, Marathon Monday. I could feel the buzzing and excitement of the city as everyone headed through the public garden on their way to the finish line. Feeling inspired by the energy of the day and the Marathon runners, I took a break from unpacking and went on my first of many jogs along the Esplanade.
Since that first day in the city, the Esplanade has become more than just a running path to me and more what I think of as my own Boston backyard. For me, what better place is there to experience the beauty of our city, the changing of the seasons, and run for a consecutive 3 miles without a stoplight (!!) than the Esplanade? Not to mention the sunsets I’ve watched with friends and family on the community dock, engagements celebrated at the Owls Nest, and even swimming the Charles River during City Splash to spread awareness of our clean river.
Now, five years later, I have the opportunity to see a whole new side of Marathon Monday as a runner while supporting the Esplanade where my love for Boston began.
I’m honored to be apart of the Esplanade Association's 2020 Marathon Team and am excited to spend the next six months raising money to support the mission to revitalize and enhance the Charles River Esplanade, sustain its natural green space, and build community in the park by providing educational, cultural, and recreational programs for everyone.
For those who are not familiar, the Esplanade Association (Esplanade.org) is a privately-funded non-profit organization whose work to revitalize, enhance, program, and maintain the park includes:
· HORTICULTURE: Caring for a lush canopy of trees, maintaining beautiful gardens, and leading 2,000 volunteers a year who help care for the park
· ARTS & CULTURE: Commissioning public art, including three new murals in 2019, and showcasing local musical acts on the Hatch Shell Stage
· HEALTH & FITNESS: Hosting seasonal 5Ks and dozens of free fitness classes, jointly caring for the Teddy Ebersol’s Red Sox Fields, and partnering to launch the B.A.A. & Esplanade Association Morning Run Club
· CHILDREN & FAMILIES: Building & maintaining two Esplanade playgrounds, hosting free field days for local summer camps, and hosting family-friendly events, tours, and scavenger hunts
· PARK ENHANCEMENTS: Installing new welcome signs with mileage maps, rehabbing historic monuments and park elements, and partnering to bring the popular Owl’s Nest beer garden to the park (a great place for a post-run refreshment!)
PLEASE help me further the Esplanade Association’s ability to care for the Esplanade and to make this beloved park a welcoming place for millions of visitors each year.
Support TEAM ESPLANADE!