PURPOSE: DSN Service Dog Grant Program supports our objective, to “increase confidence and independence in our members by supplying them the tools, ...and resources they need to adapt to life with chronic illnesses while challenging themselves to set new goals despite their physical limitations.” AWARD: One (1) grant in the amount of $1,000 will be awarded to one (1) person selected by the DSN Service Dog Grant Program Selection Committee. Funds will be remitted directly to the service dog training organization. The selected recipient will be notified and announced on October 01, 2018. ELIGIBILITY: Applicants must be:
- At least 16 years old (parental consent is required for applicants under 18 years old).
- U.S. resident
- Currently matched with a service dog at a DSN approved service dog organization. http://www.assistancedogsinternational.org/members/programs-search/
- An active member of DSN committed to supporting the mission our organization
- Diagnosed with Dysautonomia and/or related conditions such as Connective Tissue Disorders, Mast Cell Activation Disorders, Chiari Malformation and Gastric Motility Disorders by an MD or DO in the U.S.
Previous grant winners are not eligible to apply for additional funds for the same dog but may apply again for a successor dog. Applicants who are not selected are eligible to apply for future grants and will be required to submit a new application and attachments annually. DSN Directors and Officers, members of the DSN Service Dog Grant Program Selection Committee, and their families are ineligible. SELECTION CRITERIA: DSN is specifically looking to assist members who have demonstrated:
- Commitment to awareness and/or advocacy for Dysautonomia and Co-occurring disorders
- Understanding of their needs and challenges and the ways a service dog will enhance their life
- Resilience when facing adversity and determination to strive toward short and long-term goals.
- Application form available at
- All applicants must also submit a letter from their physician verifying the diagnosis of Dysautonomia and/ or related conditions such as Connective Tissue Disorders, Mast Cell Activation Disorders, Chiari Malformation and Gastric Motility Disorders.
- All applicants must also submit a letter from the service dog organization through which they have been matched with a dog.
- Eligible Non-citizens must provide a copy of Alien Registration Card: I-151 or I-551 with application
- Application and attachments must be submitted together via the DSN website, no later than 11:59 pm (eastern) September 01, 2018.
- All information provided by the applicant will be reviewed only by the DSN Service Dog Grant Selection Committee. Once the grant recipient is selected and fund remitted, the recipient’s application will remain on file but all other applications and attachments will be destroyed.
- The Service Dog Grant award will be reported to the IRS and may be subject to income tax, therefore the selected recipient will be required to provide a social security number.
- To help raise awareness and inspire others, recipients of DSN Service Dog Grants will be required to sign a release and provide periodic updates and pictures of their journey through training, graduation and the first year with their dog.
- To help further DSN’s mission, the recipient of the DSN Service Dog Grant will be expected to participate in at least one fundraising event in order to expand and grow the program.
- Recipients will be notified via email and USPS if selected and will have one calendar year from award date to use the grant.
- Funds will be paid directly to the service dog trainer or organization upon approval by the DSN Service Dog Grant Selection Committee.
SERVICE DOG GRANTS