This is my third year fundraising for CAAAV and participating in the karaoke battle! CAAAV has become a political home for me, ever since I interned for them in 2014 with their public housing campaign. They do such incredible work for the working-class and immigrant Asian communities that very few, if any, organizations are doing.
PLEASE help support their amazing work (see below) by donating/sharing their fundraising campaign, and come to the karaoke battle! Free entry if you've donated!
- campaigned against Amazon's HQ2 and successfully kicked them out of Queens/NYC!
- incubated projects that would later become their own organizations, including the NYC Taxi Workers Alliance, Domestic Workers United, and Mekong NYC
- pressured the city to allocate $14 million to build parks and open green space accessible to Chinatown and Lower East Side residents along the East River Waterfront, rather than the original plan of high-end stores and private developments
- organized the Southeast Asian community in the Bronx to challenge the failed Welfare to Workfare programs, documented in the film, Eating Welfare
- advocated for the rights of street vendors in Chinatown that were targeted during former NYC Mayor Giuliani’s Quality of Life campaign
- worked in a city-wide coalition that pushed Mayor Bloomberg to sign an Executive Order providing language access for immigrant New Yorkers
- organized countless tenants to fight their landlords and stay in their homes
- developed the leadership of young people around a vision for social justice through organizing