Make your run for the 2019 Pell Bridge Run matter for Newport County... Run for the MLK! The MLK Community Center fights hunger, promotes health, educates young and school age kids, supports families, and engages seniors all across Newport County, Rhode Island.
Founded in 1922 and renamed honoring Dr. King in 1968, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Community Center is a central service provider for at-risk individuals, families, and seniors. An independent nonprofit, the MLK Community Center fights hunger, promotes health, educates young and school-age kids, supports families, and engages seniors all across Newport County.
Programs encompass three areas:
- Hunger Prevention and Nutrition
- Early Childhood and Extended Learning Time Education
- Community Support Programs
Agency goals are to:
- Reduce hunger through our food pantry, daily meal program, and home food delivery.
- Increase health through agency-wide access to a Registered Dietitian, nutrition education, fitness and wellness programming, and other engaging programs.
- Offer high-performing educational programs for children while holistically supporting the needs of their parents and families.