DONNER LAKE CLEAN UP + PLAQUES!
In only 2 official dive days, on the first 1/2 MILE of Donner Lake’s shoreline, Clean Up The Lake’s scuba team has already pulled out 790 POUNDS OF TRASH from Donner's depths! This effort has come to fruition shortly after seeing a video from Truckee born + rasied girls Ella & Olivia Hoyer; & Ella's initiative to get 37 plaques created calling for stewardship against trash issues at Donner Lake!
We still have a minimum of 2.5 MILES TO GO for scuba clean up, on the north shore of Donner Lake where all 37 of the public piers are located. Clean Up The Lake wants to show it's committment to the amazing Town of Truckee and it's local Donner Lake, showing we intend to protect more than just Lake Tahoe; but also other local lakes in the area!
Our Main Objectives are:
1) To SCUBA clean all 3 miles of the north shore of Donner Lake from 0-25 feet + the 3 miles of the north shoreline grounds near the public piers as well.
2) Our team is blessed with the opportunity to work with some of Truckee's youngest enviornmental activists; Ella and Olivia Hoyer at 12 & 10 years old. A large part of this effort will include working to get the installation of 37 plaques / signage that calls for visitors to take responsibility of their own trash. The plaque will be a call to action directly from Ella + Olivia Hoyer. All messaging + design will be coordinated by Ella Hoyer.
OUR GOAL IS TO RAISE $10,000 USD.
These funds will be used for:
1) The FIRST MONEY IN will goto installing these 37 plaques to ensure Ella + Olivia Hoyer's dream becomes a reality. We are already working with Truckee Donner Recreation & Parks District who to date, has great support in seeing this through.
2) These funds will also cover the cost of scuba + ground cleaning the 3 miles of the North shore of Donner Lake this July;
3) Will help ensure our organization can use Enviornmental Scientist/s to analyze this data & develop ideas and efforts to better prevent similar pollution from happening in the future
4) All remaining funds will help our charitable organization contine to keep Donner Lake, Lake Tahoe, and similar lakes in our area cleaner moving forward.
IF WE MEET OUR GOAL:
If we surpass our goal of $10K, our Founder at Clean Up The Lake will promise, not only to finish cleaning the 3 mile north shore which is a given already; but also to SCUBA CLEAN THE ENTIRE CIRCUMFRENCE of Donner Lake.
We only need 100 donations at $100 dollars.
Please donate anything and everything you can, every amount helps! :)
(Video +Photography by Clean Up The Lake + Ludovic Fekete + Riley McClaurghy + Bevan Waite)