DOC HOUSE 2.0 IS COMING IN 2019.
Docs In Progress will be moving house again in just a couple of months. And this time, we are super excited for the move because it will help usher in a new era for the organization. Get in on the ground floor with us to help invest in the future of documentary community.
A donation in any amount will help Docs In Progress continue to do everything we already do to support the documentary community and will also help us with the building blocks of some new programming we will be able to offer in our our new space.
We have some exciting perks to offer, as well as the biggest perk of all - a brand new space where we can better serve our growing community.
A REGIONAL DOCUMENTARY HUB
Since 2004, Docs In Progress has been committed to building community through documentary -- from novices learning the basics of the documentary craft to more experienced filmmakers looking for professional development to aficionados who relish seeing real stories and interacting with the creatives behind them.
In early 2019, Docs In Progress will move to new permanent space in downtown Silver Spring. It may seem like deja vu. While our 2017 move happened after the original "Documentary House" was sold by a landlord, our upcoming move has been in the works for more than two years.
This represents a partnership with Montgomery County's Housing Opportunities Commission which selected Docs In Progress as one of only three nonprofits to occupy ground floor space in Alexander House, part of the new Elizabeth Square multi-use development in downtown Silver Spring.
Our new home will allow us to better serve our growing community by offering:
- A state-of-the-art filmmaking education center with new equipment, editing suites, and larger classrooms.
- A screening room that will seat up to 75 people and host special public events.
- Community programming including screenings, video educational programs for adults, youth, and elders, and a new workforce development program.
- Convenience to public transportation and parking (one block from the Silver Spring Metro and public parking only steps away)
- Office space for staff, one-on-one consultations, our Filmmaker-in-Residence, and members of our community who have need of meeting space or editing facilities.
- More opportunities for the regional filmmaking community to connect face-to-face in a comfortable, welcoming space.
EMPOWER. ENGAGE. ENVISION.
As Docs In Progress celebrates our first ten years as a nonprofit (and 14 years of programming), we look forward to our next decade as we continue to empower new documentary storytellers, engage with the diverse communities we serve (filmmakers, film viewers, and neighbors), and envision a future where everyone who has a story to tell can get that opportunity. The Alexander House facility will be a big part of our story and hopefully yours as well.
WHY YOUR SUPPORT IS CRITICAL?
We are grateful to the Housing Opportunities Commission for managing the buildout of the space and to the Arts & Humanities Council of Montgomery County and the Morris and Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation for providing more than $30,000 towards expenses of equipping the new space. However, we still need to raise funds to make the space the best it can be for our community.
We would not be where we are today without our community, and that is why we are asking for your support now. We want the space to be the best it can be so that we can better serve people like you.
HOW DOES OUR GOAL BREAK DOWN?
- $5,000 will be used for moving expenses (packing and moving all our furniture, equipment, and files, getting both the old and new space cleaned up, getting our Internet and phone service up and running as soon as possible, and setting up a PO box during the interim between moving out and moving in).
- $5,000 will go as a direct match for one of our grants so that we can get the new screening room set up and ready to go as soon as possible.
- $5,000 will be used to cover operational expenses during the transition period when we will be moving out of the old space and into the new space. There will be a brief few weeks when we won't be able to offer any programs at the space while we are getting it set up, but we will still be responsible for paying rent, staff, and utilities. Your support will help us weather this period.
All donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. If you prefer to donate by check or other means, see instructions below.
If you don't feel comfortable making a donation online, you may also donate by check and your donation can be counted towards this campaign. Make checks payable to Docs In Progress and mail to:
Docs In Progress
801 Wayne Avenue - Suite G-100
Silver Spring, MD 20910