The Detroit Repertory Theatre has been serving Detroit’s cultural needs in a way no other theatre does.
The mission of the Detroit Repertory Theatre is to produce the best professional theatre while fostering cultural democratization of the arts, and fighting, by example, the disturbing level of racism that still exists.
The Detroit Rep is the oldest professional (union) nonprofit theatre in Michigan and it lives in a neighborhood in the center of the city of Detroit since 1957.
The Detroit Rep is guided by the belief that the sense of community is stronger than the forces that splinter and that efforts to preserve unity deserve the same attention and support as the justly cultivated efforts to retain diversity.
The Detroit Rep
· Hires local actors and artists, paying them union wages, with benefits
· Casts its shows regardless of race, ethnicity, and sometimes gender, unless germane to the play, resulting in theatre experiences that show our humanity and how alike we are to each other, no matter the color of our skin, or any characteristics we have that may make us look different from each other
· Produces a free actors workshop for low to moderate income adults who may have not had the opportunity to explore their creativity – some have gone on to careers in theatre, most have improved their self-esteem, public speaking skills, and empathy
· Brings in clients of Care Management Agencies, so these underserved and often ignored people get a cultural experience and a bit of quality of life on top of the basic needs being provided by their CMO’s.
· Showcases and sells the art of local early career artists in the Gilda Snowden Lobby Gallery – The Rep takes no commission
· Has multiple ticket plans that focus on reaching the unreached –the lowest ticket prices for professional theatre in the region
All of these things make the Rep a one of a kind theatre.
A theatre, in the heart of Detroit, that proves the power of diversity acting in unity.
With your help to reach our goal of $10,000, you will help support the Detroit Repertory Theatre's outreach programs, such as our Free Summer Arts Festival, our Actors Workshop, and Cultural Fellowship program.
If you are already a Detroit Rep supporter: your donation can be applied to your Anna Holley Pledge ($1/week =$52, $2/week =$104, or GOLD=$150), as well as Citizen Sponsorships ($300 - $500), and Diamond Donor ($1000+) support.
Any donation you can make will keep professional, union, nonprofit, indigenous, diversity centered theatre thriving in the heart of Detroit.