Hi, my name is Jess. In 2015 I began running ultra marathons to raise awareness towards causes that are near and dear to my heart as a mom, wife, active duty service member, & athlete. I believe that every person is born with a gift that can be used to give back to the community and the world needs us more than ever right now. Like most people I was caught off guard by 2020. Division, hatred, and illness overflowing social media feeds and news headlines. I can't change the world, but I can run to donate energy towards non profit organizations that instill positivity and hope for humanity through action.
On January 16, 2021, I will be running the San Diego 50 Miler for Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Charitable Service Trust. DAV was established in 1920 and their mission is "dedicated to a single purpose: empowering veterans to lead high-quality lives with respect and dignity. DAV accomplishes this by ensuring that veterans and their families can access the full range of benefits available to them; fighting for the interests of America’s injured heroes on Capitol Hill; and educating the public about the great sacrifices and needs of veterans transitioning back to civilian life."
DAV has impacted many generations of veterans and their families. This is only a snapshot of their many contributions:
- DAV provides a structure through which disabled veterans can express their compassion for their fellow veterans through a variety of volunteer programs.
- COVID-19 unemployment relief fund.
- Natural disaster relief fund.
- Representing the interests of disabled veterans, their families, their widowed spouses and their orphans before Congress, the White House and the Judicial Branch, as well as state and local government.
- Congressional meetings for expanding government disability coverages (most recently to cover diseases from those impacted by burn pit exposures and agent orange).
- In person and virtual job fairs (146,000 job offers).
- Homeless veterans assistance.
- Representing veterans in VA claims.
- Free rides to VA healthcare facilities (615,000 rides to vets this year).
This is a 4 star charity that receives no funds from our government. It operates off contributions from people like us. Be a part of my dash for a cause.