In 2015, Dr. Jack Taunton introduced Jo-Ann Bateman to Dr. Norgrove Penny, a founder of CoRSU Rehabilitation Hospital. Jo-Ann also has a history in Uganda, and works in the Sport Medicine and Orthopaedic industry.
Jo-Ann and Norgrove saw an opportunity to capacity build Sport & Exercise Medicine in Uganda in partnership with CoRSU Hospital. Soon after their first meeting, the first CUSEM team traveled to Uganda in 2016. 2019 was CUSEM’s fourth trip to Uganda, and each time we visit, we build on the momentum established in previous years.
CUSEM's mission is to support the development of Sport & Exercise Medicine in Uganda.
We motivate, encourage and inspire Sport & Exercise Medicine excellence to maximize the power and spirit of movement within Uganda in an independent manner. CUSEM values partnerships, fostering independence, equality, and healthy lifestyles. We work to uphold these values through our program pillars - education, clinical work, research, resource distribution, networking and relationship building.
CUSEM works directly with physiotherapists and physicians at CoRSU hospital to provide equipment in order to develop musculoskeletal medicine at the hospital, and teach Sport & Exercise Medicine skills.
To view the main CoRSU crowdfunding page please click here.
How you can Help:
- Donate $35 CDN and receive a THANK YOU video from CoRSU Hospital staff.
- Donate $100 CDN and receive ONE ENTRY into a draw to win a trip to Uganda with a team of Canadian physicians and physiotherapists.* (Terms & Conditions apply.)
All donations over $500 receive a personalized thank you video from a CoRSU staff member and the equivalent number of entries into a draw to win a trip to Uganda for medical outreach!*
- Donate $500 CDN and pay for one child's club foot surgery.
- Donate $1200 CDN and pay for one nurse or one physiotherapist's salary for one month.
- Donate $3000 CDN and support one child's complete care at CoRSU (including surgery, hospital stay and post-operative rehabilitation).
- Donate $4500 CDN and pay for one physician's salary for one month.
Donors who contribute $10,000 CDN or more will have their names highlighted on a DONOR WALL at CoRSU Hospital.
- Donate $150,000 CDN and support CoRSU's full operating budget for one month!**
All funds raised go directly to KEEPING CORSU OPEN - all administration for this campaign is being done by volunteers.
*Each equivalent donation of $100 CDN will receive an entry into a draw to win a trip to Uganda and CoRSU with a Canadian medical outreach team. Terms & Conditions apply and will be emailed to all donors who qualify.
**Donors who contribute the equivalent of $150,000 or more will receive the following:
- An all-expenses paid trip to visit CoRSU Hospital with a Canadian medical outreach team,
- Full naming sponsorship of the CoRSU Disabled Children's Sport Day for two years,
- A special THANK YOU ceremony during the visit.
Terms & Conditions apply and will be emailed to all donors who qualify.