If you were a refugee woman without friends or family in a foreign country with an unknown language and unfamiliar customs and you were pregnant or had an infant, wouldn’t you be happy to find a safe women’s space for mothers and babies?
Wouldn’t it be a relief to meet and befriend other mothers, listen to the healthy heartbeat of your unborn child and get help to nurse or feed your baby in the best possible way?
AMURTEL Greece believes that all mothers and babies everywhere deserve this kind of care. That’s why we started this work in the peak refugee crisis of 2015 and why we're still here!
What’s the issue
According to the latest UNHCR figures, 61,000 refugees are still in Greece with 4000-6000 arriving monthly. For asylum seeking and migrant mothers in the Athens area, accessing health care in the public hospitals is fraught with language barriers, unknown medical systems and unfamiliar cultural norms.
AMURTEL offers the only all-women’s space in Athens for
*Midwifery examinations during pregnancy and postpartum
*Lactation consultant support for breastfeeding and all aspects of infant feeding
*Support groups focused on pregnancy, birth and infant care
All our services are maintained through our tireless Farsi, Arabic, Kurdish and French female interpreters.
What’s new so far in 2018
• Our Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Breastfeeding counselor training began! The first group of refugee and migrant women has completed their theoretical curriculum and are now moving into the practical training for group facilitation. A new P2P course begins in October.
• Mom’s Support groups are being held daily! In each of the 4 languages, topics covered are breastfeeding, nutrition for infants 6 months and over, reproductive health, preparation for birth, infant care, and infant massage.
Why we need your help: Our vision for the next 6 months
We are cramped in our present space! Your donations will help us expand to include an adjacent 120 sq meter apartment that will let us
• Train more women as Peer-to-Peer counselors so that they can reach more mothers in a culturally sensitive and impactful manner in their own language
• Empower a greater number of mothers by adding more pregnancy, birth and infant care support groups
• Add a psychologist and a social worker to the AMURTEL staff to help alleviate the unavoidable trauma refugee families undergo
• Stabilize our outreach program in order to be able to regularly extend our care to those in squats, camps and urban accommodation
We couldn't do it without you! Many thanks from the moms, the babies and alll of us at AMURTEL!