In response to COVID-19, Haven Neighborhood Services, a 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization, has established a campaign to raise $150,000.00 for individuals and families who are currently experiencing a financial shock. Funds will be used to hire two Financial Coaches that will provide supportive services virtually and over the phone.
STATEMENT OF NEED: We are experiencing a high volume of phone calls from existing clients and new referrals that are seeking our counseling services. These services include our six-step program:
1. Debt Relief Counseling: negotiating with creditors to consolidate, waive or freeze payments, request 0% interest rates, among other debt mitigations efforts.
2. Credit Counseling: pulling credit reports and monitoring installments and revolving credit. Ensuring that consolidation, waive or freeze payments are being honored by creditors and ensuring that credit scores are not being impacted. Identity theft recovery assistance will also be offered to help those who have fallen prey to financial scams during the pandemic.
3. Foreclosure Prevention Counseling: negotiate with banks, refinancing, forbearance, loan modifications, refinancing, short sales, etc.
4. Bank Account Enrollment Services: this service is crucial for the unbanked/underbanked population who might be eligible for the emergency stimulus funding to prevent them from cashing their check at a payday lender or check cashing place that offer high fees to cash checks. We will also provide online banking tutorials like how to access account balances/statements, transfer money, how to make remote check deposits, and other money management tools to help clients navigate their finances during and after the lockdown.
5. Emergency Stimulus Funding Registration Assistance: coordinate efforts with IRS’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites to help non-tax filers with stimulus registration to provide their direct-deposit information or mailing address to receive their stimulus payment in a timely manner.
6. Resources and Referrals: Haven Neighborhood Services stands deeply rooted in the community and has overtime developed a vast network of nonprofits, government, and banking partners across Los Angeles county. Our organization will collaborate and streamline referrals and financial intervention services to over 75+ local partners to address the immediate needs of our clients.
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: For the last ten years, Haven Neighborhood Services has maintained an unwavering commitment to the financial health and education of our community members. All services that Haven Neighborhood Services provides are FREE at no-cost to our clients. Our organization, founded during the aftermath of the 2008 Economic Recession, addresses financial crises among economically vulnerable individuals and families. To date, we have served over 28,800 Angelenos. Many of which have achieved financial freedom and ended their financial crisis through our education and one-on-one financial services. Our mission is to “financially empower vulnerable communities by providing no-cost financial education and services to end their financial crisis!”
HOW YOU CAN DONATE: These are unprecedented times, and Haven Neighborhood Services is reaching out to donors to help support our cause. Please join us and donate today.
We thank you for stepping up and taking action with us.
ERIKA TORIZ-KURKJIAN | EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Address: 3655 S. Grand Ave. #250, Los Angeles, CA 90007