Our Shared Vision
The Community of Peace in Louisa, Virginia (CPL) near Charlottesville, will be an ecumenical, contemplative, residential Christ-centered community that, like the Taize Community in France, follows a daily rhythm of sung prayer, welcome, dialogue, and service. We are an expression of Dr. Martin Luther King’s “Beloved Community” reflecting the many cultures and peoples of the United States and the rich spiritualities of the world including Indigenous, African, and Celtic.
Our mission is to offer each day a beautiful sung prayer for peace, to provide a warm welcome to visitors regardless of their financial means, to engage in dialogue for peace with those of different religious and political views, and to enter into solidarity and service with the most vulnerable in society. We are committed to the ongoing work of anti-racism, racial reconciliation, economic equality, gender justice, and the empowerment of women and the LGBTQIA+ Community. We seek the renewal and unity of Christian churches, interfaith dialogue, environmental repair, the healing of the Earth, and climate justice.
In June, 2021, we will move to Louisa to renovate our retreat center on 270-acres of wooded land and open our doors to visitors to share our life together.
Who We Are
From different spiritual backgrounds, denominations, and traditions, we are passionately committed to peace, social justice, personal and global transformation. We prayerfully seek the guidance of the Spirit who leads us into compassion, reconciliation, holiness, and hilarity.
CPL will consist of a diverse body of people with various gifts and callings, and with different forms of commitment. Our community will include life-time vowed traditional monastics, married couples, single adults, and families with children. Some will live in residence, others will live nearby, while still others may live at a distance and contribute as they are able.
At this time of social and political unrest in the United States, we believe a Community of Peace is greatly needed. We need a place of deep welcome and beautiful sung prayer where people who agree and disagree can come together and listen to God and to one another. CPL will be such a place; a center for ecumenical and interfaith learning and transformation that demonstrates God's love in society - a visible and tangible expression of the Good News. We will listen to one another deeply and learn from one another how to live well together - a “parable of communion” as Br. Roger of Taizé would say.
Together we will provide the foundation for ongoing social/political engagement, as noted above, actively promoting:
1. Racial justice and reconciliation particularly for indigenous peoples, immigrants, African Americans, Latinx Peoples, and Asian Americans.
2. Gender justice reflected in welcoming people of all gender identities and sexual orientations, openly affirming and empowering the LGBTQIA+ Community, and recognizing the equality of all people.
3. Environmental sustainability as a way of life, listening to and caring for the land, water, and air.
How the Money Will Be Used
All of the funds raised in this GoFundMe will be put towards the down-payment on the retreat center property and land as well as the initial renovations and maintenance.
The purpose of our community is clear. Through daily common life, sung prayer, work, silence, dialogue, and engagement in the work of social justice, CPL seeks the continual healing and transformation of all. May it be so!
How You Can Help
To help spread the word about this project, we’d love it if you would:
1. Donate whatever you can to this GoFundMe Campaign. As a registered 501c3 non-profit. all donations are tax-deductible.
2. Send the link of this page directly to 3 friends via email, text, or messenger. Direct messages make a big difference in people seeing our campaign compared to posting to social media.
3. Post this link on your Facebook page and Twitter account and tag friends that you think would resonate with this project. Tagging will really help in getting your friends to see the post and check out our GoFundMe campaign.
4. Have fun sharing this vision with your community!
Thank you for becoming part of Community of Peace. We look forward to welcoming you in Virginia.
Learn more on the Community of Peace Website
Feel free to send any questions to Stefan at email@example.com and Savannah at firstname.lastname@example.org
GoFundMe Video & Fundraising Strategy by Savannah Kruger
Artwork by Addie Mendelson
Logo Design by Barb Miller
Clips of the Taize Community in Burgundy, France Shot by Deutsche Grammophon