Right before every performance, while the audience is settling into their seats, Shadow Master Larry Reed circles up behind the shadow screen with the shadow casters, puppeteers, musicians, dancers, and actors and reminds them to “play attention!”; to work together in the present moment to co-create an experience for the audience like none other.
For almost 50 years, ShadowLight Productions has been uniquely committed to telling stories from around the world through shadows. We are internationally recognized as innovators in the modern Shadow Theatre field.
With your donation, ShadowLight continues to nurture Collaboration, Experimentation and Play with our signature cinematic shadow theatre or wayang listrik, an interdisciplinary style invented by ShadowLight Productions’ artistic director, Larry Reed and company members. Our streaming films, traditional Balinese wayang performances and an upcoming accessible digital archive of nearly fifty years of shadow theatre from around the world provide accessibility and preserve this art form for generations to come.
We have many exciting new collaborations and projects in the works!
* A private event performance at the Asian Art Museum in collaboration with Bindlestiff Studio. Stay tuned for public performances in 2020!
* March 2020 performance at the new Presidio Theater in collaboration with Gamelan Sekar Jaya and Brenda Wong Aoki. We present a cinematic shadow play from the classic epic poem, the Mahabharata, told from the perspectives of Draupadi and other chief female characters.
* Shadow Theatre Presentations and Hands-on Workshops at multiple public, private and non-profit schools and institutions.
* A large scale cinematic shadow performance in collaboration with Javanese artists and performers at Padepokan Seni Bagong Kussudiardja in Yogyakarta, Java to create a play about Dewi Sri, the pre-Hindu, pre-Islam Javanese goddess of rice and fertility.
* ShadowLight Productions Digital Archive of nearly 50 years of documented shadow theater from around the world including Indonesia, Malaysia, China and Taiwan with streaming of select works available starting in 2020.
* Supporting a new generation of shadow theatre artists through productions, workshops, resources, and fiscal sponsorship!
Your donation helps ShadowLight continue to share stories from many voices, preserve shadow theatre traditions from around the world and nurture more Collaboration, Experimentation and Play!
Make a one-time donation on Crowdrise or support our ongoing programming with a recurring monthly donation here: PAYPAL MONTHLY DONATION