Our Past and Present
On June 20, 1920, thirty individuals of mostly German descent founded a new church in Upper Darby, PA -- Christ Lutheran Community Church. These founding members could not have envisioned the diversity of our congregation today where immigrants and refugees from 23 countries around the world gather together in Christ.
Although the face of Christ Lutheran Community Church has changed over the past 100 years, our legacy of service has not changed. Consider some of the on-going programs that touch so many lives:
· An afterschool program and summer camp for grades 1 thru 8, in its 25th year of operation, providing children from low income families with a safe and nurturing environment.
· English as a Second Language (ESL) classes, helping hundreds of immigrants and refugees learn English.
· An emergency food bank for the homeless or hungry who come to our door.
· Providing a dinner every other month in West Philadelphia for the homeless and those living with HIV/AIDS.
· Assisting Philabundance every Friday with distributing free food in our parking lot to families in need.
· Distributing over 100 Thanksgiving baskets and preparing and serving a meal on Thanksgiving Day for another 100 or more, including deliveries to shut-ins.
· Donating gifts at Christmastime to dozens of foster children through Operation Shining Star and to seniors residing at Fair Acres nursing home.
As Christ Lutheran Community Church launches into our second hundred years, we want to expand our tradition of service by making our building more accessible and hospitable to all who come through our doors. Here is what we hope do:
· Install a lift for access to our second floor fellowship hall
· Install a ramp to the classrooms/offices/bathrooms on the first floor
· Renovate the first floor bathrooms to make them wheelchair accessible and add a bathroom on the second floor
· Cover expenses for urgent repairs completed in 2018 to the exterior of the building (stonework, roof, gutters, and window frames)
Members and friends of CLCC have already pledged $217,000 of the $300,000 needed for this campaign. We are praying for an additional $83,000 to complete these renovations. Please consider making a donation to help us carry our legacy of service Into Our Second Century. You can donate through GoFundMe Charity with a debit/credit card or donations by check can be mailed to 7240 Walnut St., Upper Darby, PA 19082.
Thank you and God bless you!
Enjoy our video with more details on our past, present, and future!