Mission Statement: The Child Mind Institute is an independent, national nonprofit dedicated to transforming the lives of children and families struggling with mental health and learning disorders. Our teams work every day to deliver the highest standards of care, advance the science of the developing brain and empower parents, professionals and policymakers to support children when and where they need it most.
Some additional stats:
- 1 in 5 children have a mental health or learning disorder – more than the number with asthma, peanut allergies, diabetes and cancer combined.
- 50% of mental health disorders begin before age 14 and 75% begin before age 24.
- 6,000+ US adolescents die by suicide every year. 1.2 million require emergency room care for suicide attempts or ideation.
- 40% of youth with diagnosable ADHD don’t get treatment.
- 60% of youth with diagnosable depression don’t get treatment.
- 80% of youth with a diagnosable anxiety disorder don’t get treatment.
- In a recent CDC study, one in four young adults between 18 and 24 said they have seriously contemplated suicide during the pandemic.