Imagine your next night out:
You arrive at the theater, open the door, and you're immediately in another world. Vines and roots cover the walls. Dappled light plays across the floor. Live musicians play and incredible artwork is surrounds you.
And then, there it is, in the center of the room, sprawled throughout the space -- a life-sized tree.
Yup. They weren't kidding.
You grab a drink, find a comfortable seat, and are immediately transported into a love story unlike anything you've seen before -- one that makes you laugh, makes your heart ache, and one that you'll be thinking about for the next long while...
That's what we're creating.
And we need your help!
ABOUT THE SHOW:
"Care of Trees", by E. Hunter Spreen, tells the story of Travis DeKalb and Georgia Swift. When we meet Travis, he is literally (and metaphorically) digging himself a hole deep into the earth in the midst of a forest. Then, we catapult through his memories, and watch him fall deeply in love with Georgia Swift. However, a year into their marriage, Georgia becomes incapacitated by an unidentifiable illness. As Travis struggles to come to terms with Georgia’s inevitable transformation, she begins to embrace it.
"Care of Trees" is a multi-media, theatrical exploration of how we grapple with the hole that’s left, when someone you love goes somewhere you can’t follow.
The story unfolds on the set of a life-sized tree.
Learn more here.
Directed by Caitlin Lushington
Enso Theatre Ensemble is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit. We produce professional ensemble theatre and offer theatre education in an environment of mindfulness & well-being. Learn more about our process here.
WHY WE PICKED THIS PLAY:
A few reasons...
1. Caitlin first saw this show when she was 13 and has wanted to direct it ever since. She will be working directly with the playwright to create updates for this particular production (which she is super super insanely pumped about!)
2. This show provides a unique platform to examine someone else’s intimate process of grief, even as we relate it to our own.
3. The audience is left with a worthy conversation around how we experience the natural world: What happens when we take the time to truly “see” our connection to the world around us — what happens if we don’t?
1. We're extending opportunities for the community to have conversations with us about the play and its themes through our Friday MeetUp.com Dinners, and Post-Show "Cheers & Chats" (an alternative to talkbacks).
2. We're inviting a number of awesome student groups to attend this production and join us for conversation.
3. Local musicians will be invited to open for "Care of Trees" and local artists to have their work presented & sold during the run of the show.
OKAY, RIGHT ON, THIS SOUNDS COOL. SO WHERE DOES MY MONEY GO?
You'll be able to see every $ from this campaign reflected in our beautiful, abstract tree, our dynamic light design, the immersive sound, the telling costumes, the carefully crafted videos and the lovingly chosen props.
Every bit helps, and every bit will help us to create, source or build a tangible part of the design.
DO I GET SOMETHING FOR GIVING?
First of all, ALL donations are tax-deductible because we are a 501(c)(3) non-profit. We'll send ya a receipt that you can use for your taxes at the end of 2018.
Second of all, you'll get a little sumthin-sumthin for ANY amount donated:
$1 - We'll whisper a sweet thank-you-so-and-so to a local tree (and we'll post the video!)
$5 - We'll paint an enso for you (and we'll post the video!)
$15 - A digital booklet of the show, including photos of rehearsals, performances, behind-the-scenes videos, and more!
$25 - We'll send you a mini-Enso painting that comes with its own mini-easel! (Limited)
$50 - A potted succulent plant with a beautiful bow, and your name on it, will be waiting for you at the show. (Limited)
$100 - "Best Seat in the House" includes 2 free tickets to a show of your choosing, a bottle of wine from Enso Winery and a handmade card from the heart. <3 (Limited)
$250 - Your name on the tree! Arrive early and our House Manager will escort you behind-the-scenes of our life-sized tree set, where you will see your name inscribed! Plus, 2 free tickets, a free glass of wine for you and your +1 at the show, and an adorable mini-Enso painting w/easel. (Limited)
$500 - Drinks on us! Join Director Caitlin Lushington after the show for private conversation & drinks. Plus, 2 free tickets, an adorable mini-Enso painting w/easel, and your name lovingly inscribed on our tree. (Limited)
$1000 - Dinner's on us! Join Director Caitlin Lushington for a beautiful meal before the show. Plus, 2 free tickets, an adorable mini-Enso painting w/easel, your name lovingly inscribed on our tree, and choose another reward from the list above. (Limited)
EVERYONE will be listed in our program with big, big thanks. :D
Thank you, a thousand times, for supporting our theatre & wellness work.
It's people like you,
Who love what we do,
That allow us to do,
What we love.
Caitlin & the Ensemble #careoftrees