The Alliance for California Traditional Arts (ACTA) supports the work of California traditional artists spanning hundreds of art forms, from cowboy poetry to African American quilting, from Hmong qeej music to LGBTQ voguing competitions.
From the beginning, ACTA has invested in making California a home to everyone—a home that respects cultural diversity, the creation of meaningful art, and a vibrant, healthy, and inclusive society.
We believe it’s critical to counteract messages from our nation’s leaders that immigrants (and their cultures) are unwanted, and to remind one another of the riches we enjoy amidst a state filled with indigenous and immigrant traditions. ACTA plays an essential role in keeping these cultural memories alive by supporting California’s diverse traditional arts, making it a safe and welcome home for everyone.
Over our 21 year history, ACTA has:
• invested more than $5.5 million into the folk and traditional arts field
• awarded 1,200 grants and contracts to traditional artists and organizations
• worked in 50 California counties
• served 1,675 inmates in 17 state institutions through our Arts in Corrections traditional arts workshops
Because you believe in preserving culture and tradition, we know that you understand why traditional practices, languages, ceremonies, and ways of knowing are essential to being human. Please make a tax deductible gift to ACTA by December 31 to help us raise our donor goal of $15,000 by the end of the year.
Your donation can help support:
• a Living Cultures Grant that funds a traditional arts organization
• a year-long Apprenticeship that allows for one-on-one artistic training with a Master Artist
• archival digitization of a major collection to facilitate public access
• documenting the practice and skill of a master artist for the public
• facilitating a Sounds of California community recording session
• a culminating event at an Arts in Corrections traditional arts residency
• an artist sharing at our Traditional Arts Roundtable Series
Please click to give, or send a check to ACTA’s office, located at 744 P Street #307, Fresno, CA 93721.
ACTA is a nonprofit, 501(c)3 organization, and all donations are tax deductible.
Thank you so much for your love and support!