Building Hope Through Housing
LA County is in crisis: more than 60,000 people are currently experiencing homelessness in shelters, cars, and on the streets. The need for services has never been higher, and service providers are overwhelmed with demand. They desperately need to repair their facilities, but the cost of construction is so high that they risk reduced capacity or closure.
HomeAid Los Angeles (HALA) is here to help. A 501(c)(3) comprised of building industry experts, we guide the construction and renovation of homeless shelters from concept to turnkey. By marshaling our extensive connections in the building industry, we typically save service providers 35-50% on total construction costs, adding and preserving shelter beds and improving quality of life at a fraction of the market price.
Combined, our legacy projects (1990-2013) and current projects (2016-present) have produced:
- 504 beds added or preserved
- Nearly $4 million saved
- 47% total savings rate
This work means that countless individuals and families can receive the critical services they need to get back on their feet.
Building Hope Through WORKS
Employment is the key to self-sufficiency; with jobs, individuals and families can lift themselves out of homelessness and into a new life. In 2020, we launched HomeAid WORKS, an innovative workforce development and employment program in partnership with West Adams WorkSource Center and United Dwelling Construction. At-risk, re-entry, and homeless students undergo a robust education in construction skills from broad fundamentals to specific trades such as framing and electrical. HALA then secures interviews with local builders for graduates. We continue to work with the builder to track and improve retention.
Building Hope Through Community
HALA conducts direct outreach our neighbors experiencing homelessness. We invite volunteers to help in a variety of ways, including:
- Assembly and distribution of Care Kits (packs of basic hygiene items)
- Assistance with Essentials Drives of diapers, masks, and other basic items
- Hands-on work on painting, sanding, and other tasks at BUILDS sites
Companies often partner with us to make a difference through our CARES programming. An office-wide stuffing of Care Kits or participation on a BUILDS stie is a great way to take part in our "all hands on deck" approach to helping people in need. Though COVID-19 has forced in-person volunteering to be put on hold, we are excited to gather again in 2021!
Accomplishments in 2020
Despite the unprecedented disruption cused by the COVID-19 pandemic, we have persevered and made great strides in our mission to build new lives for people experiencing homelessness in LA County. This year's accomplishments include:
- 30-bed preservation of Door of Hope Pasadena. Re-roofing of two buildings.
- 10-bed addition to WomenShelter of Long Beach. The project also included a major safety renovation, two new kitchens, and two new bathrooms.
- Launch of HomeAid WORKS, a new construction industry workforce development and employment program.
Moving forward, we are particularly excited about HomeAid WORKS! In partnership with West Adams WorkSource Center and United Dwelling Construction, we have developed an innovative program to train the next generation of construction workers and get them employed. Each graduate interviews with a local builder, who then continues working with us to track and maintain retention. Together, we can help at-risk individuals build new lives of self-sufficiency through employment!
How Your Donation Helps
Your contribution will help us continue to pursue our mission to build new lives for individuals and families experiencing homelessness through housing, education, and community outreach. With your help, we can:
- Build and renovate homeless shelters at a fraction of the cost.
- Add and preserve shelter beds so more people can get the help they need.
- Train the next generation of construction workers and help get them employed
- Assemble and distribute Care Kits of hygiene items to those living on the street
- Conduct Essentials Drives of diapers, masks, and other necessities
- Partner with public, private, and foundation organizations for an "all hands on deck" approach to helping people experiencing homelessness.
Thank you for your support. We are deeply grateful for your contribution.
$100 - Your donation will allow us to assemble and distribute 6 Care Kits to people in need.
$250 - Your donation will allow us to assemble and distribute 16 Care Kits to people in need.
$500 - Your donation will make it possible to provide tool kits for 2 WORKS students.
$750 - Your donation will make it possible to provide a stipend for 1 WORKS student and a tool kit for their use.
$1,000 - Your donation will make it possible to provide a stipend for 2 WORKS students.
$1,500 - Your donation will make it possible to provide stipends for 2 WORKS students and tool kits for their use.
$2,000 - Your donation will make it possible to provide stipends for 2 WORKS students, tool kits for their use, and 30 Care Kits to distribute to people in need.