I have been called to join an inspiring, courageous group of 8 other women to take a stand and run for a reason to increase awareness of human trafficking. I have participated in many races and runs, but this one is so much more important than any I have been a part of. This is a 200mi BIKE ride, but we have committed to being the first group of women to RUN it!! Please help in any way you feel called!
Break the Cycle 200 (BTC 200) uses epic one-day 200-mile athletic events to raise awareness and funds to break the cycle of human trafficking in Iowa and the US. During this event I will be challenged physically, emitionally and spiritually to the extreme. By participating in Break The Cycle 200 I hope to take on a vital role in raising awareness and rasing funds by telling others about my 200 mile campaign. All of our support dollars will help break the cycle of trafficking by rescuing victims, reducing the causative factors of trafficking, and restoring survivors of human trafficking.
- More than 49,000 total cases of human trafficking have been reported to the hotline in the last 10 years.
- The hotline annually receives multiple reports of human trafficking cases in each of the 50 states and D.C.
- The number of human trafficking cases that Polaris learns about in the U.S. increases every year.
- According to a 2014 study, about 14 percent of men in the United States report having ever paid for sex, and 1 percent report having done so during the previous year. "Of a small group of highly active customers – those who sought out sex workers listed on a prostitute review website - a substantial portion of them are married white men who earn over $120,000 annually, and have graduate degrees."
- a study from the Center for Court Innovation found that younger victims see more customers than older victims (the children ages 13-17 were purchased by an average of 5.4 customers per day versus 4.4 times per day for those aged 18-24).
- Human trafficking - illegally transporting people for forced labor or commercial sex - is one of the world’s largest criminal industries found in every state, including Iowa.
"Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy. Deliver the poor and needy; rid them out of the hand of the wicked." Psalm 82: 3-4
Tara J. Sayer