For the past 16 years, Boston Medical Center has proudly participated in Boston’s historic marathon, raising more than $5.4 million for the hospital. In 2018, BMC was fortunate to have 76 runners—a group of dedicated teammates hailing from points all over the globe, including New York, London and Hong Kong. Together, they trekked 26.2 miles and took the infamous “Right on Hereford, Left on Boylston” in the name of BMC’s patients and raising more than $810,000. BMC is grateful to John Hancock Financial and the Boston Athletic Association for making Team BMC possible and for recognizing the unique role BMC plays in keeping Boston healthy and strong.
Boston Medical Center offers hope when the city and its most vulnerable populations need it most. BMC stands as Boston’s indispensable hospital and a national model for excellence in caring for the urban and working poor. Existing principally to care for any and every person who walks through its doors, BMC does so with innovative treatments—many built within its own walls—and unwavering compassion provided by physicians who are leaders in their fields and highly-skilled nursing and professional staff. Striving to achieve the best possible outcome for every patient isn’t ancillary to BMC’s mission—it is BMC’s mission.
Team BMC is running Boston 2019 for the hospital’s newest endeavor called Vision 2030, which aims to make Boston the healthiest urban population in the world by 2030. Vision 2030 encompasses the longstanding belief that when an organization invests in the root causes of urban health issues, the community and its people greatly benefit and thrive. BMC will empower Boston, refining a system that works with stakeholders across the city to implement programs to improve overall health and create new partnerships as models for innovation, efficiency and replication.
To kick off this next chapter in BMC’s journey, the funds raised through this year's marathon team will go toward implementing Vision 2030 in our community. This will drive key investments in the following areas, as well as other endeavors.
· Affordable Supportive Housing Projects: BMC will magnify its support of a diverse group of housing projects in communities where many of its patients already live.
· Workforce Development Initiative: BMC will partner with community-based organizations to grow and develop targeted programs aimed at enhancing residents' options to access livable wage jobs.
· Behavioral Health: BMC will expand behavioral health resources and services across every department of the hospital in addition to immediate neighborhoods in order for patients to stay well.
· Substance Use Programs: BMC will strengthen proven developmentally- and culturally-appropriate, stigma-free substance use treatment and harm reduction services by collaborating with community partners so more patients, no matter where they reside, can be on the road to long-term recovery.
· Community Wellness Advocates: BMC will build upon the new workforce it is creating to eliminate barriers to care and better connect patients to essential resources so they can lead productive, full lives.
For more than 20 years, donors have stood by BMC’s side, helping to lead the charge in medical and social endeavors aimed at changing the trajectory of patients’ lives. Change of this magnitude is only possible when we come together, and we welcome you to join us in our pursuit. Your support is integral to the existence of programs and services our patients rely—and thrive—on, with many depending solely on philanthropic support. By donating to Team BMC you are showing your commitment to the entire city of Boston.
Thank you for supporting Boston Medical Center in its mission to provide exceptional care, without exception!