Bodyfelt Mount LLP, its attorneys and staff join together in support of SMART's Lawyers for Literacy campain - and we ask you to join as well!
Two facts to consider:
1. In the 2017-18 school year, only half of Oregon’s third graders met state reading standards, a key indicator of future literacy success. Children who are not reading at benchmark level by third-grade are four times more likely to not graduate from high school than their reading proficient peers, and that number triples for children in low-income households.
2. 75% of SMART students improved toward reading motivation benchmarks after participating in the SMART program.
Please join us in supporting endless opportunities through the power of reading, whether through donation or volunteerism. Your voluntary contribution of any kind will last a lifetime!
About SMART: Start Making a Reader Today, SMART, is a state-wide Oregon Non-Profit which pairs caring adult volunteers with thousands of Oregon school children for one-on-one reading sessions, providing a fun, child-guided experience that fosters a love of books and reading. In Oregon, over half of third-graders are not meeting state reading standards. SMART is addressing these needs in 300 sites across Oregon, in schools from Klamath Falls to Astoria. SMART invites community members across the state to join us as volunteers and help create stronger readers and a stronger Oregon. 87% of educators with students in SMART report that the program significantly contributed to reading motivation and engagement for their students. Participating students receive two books per month, up to 14 per year, to keep and share with their families. Since 1992, children in the SMART program have received nearly 3 million books to take home and keep.
About Lawyers for Literacy: In a profession where the written word is fundamental to who we are, the legal community’s support for SMART is critical. The goal of Lawyers for Literacy is to engage Portland’s legal community in supporting this work by raising the funds and volunteers to support 100 students participating in SMART in the Portland Metro Area. Please join us! Your contribution or volunteer service is completley voluntary. Thank you!
Through Lawyers for Literacy, our goal is to provide critical reading support to students participating in SMART in the Portland Metro area.
Join us today!
· $325 provides all the resources needed for one SMART student for an entire year.
· $40 buys new giveaway books (14) for one SMART student for an entire year.
· Sign up to volunteer one hour a week. Can't volunteer your time? Give a billable hour!
By providing access to books and fostering a love of reading and learning in Oregon’s kids, SMART is changing lives one book, one volunteer, and one child at a time. Join us!
P.S. SMART's legal name is Oregon Children's Foundation. When you make a donation, you can select our firm's team or any other firm, team or individual lawyer. No matter what team you select, your gift will go to SMART.