Bill Donovan loved people, and those who were lucky enough to know him loved him right back!
We are so grateful for the 66 years he was here, but boy, would we have loved to have him stay a little longer. In late January, 2020, Bill started chemo for Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML). By June 1, he had completed all treatments and celebrated by ringing the bell at Duke! Friends and family continued the celebration (Covid style) with a drive by parade, then his grandchildren celebrated more, from a distance, with a video that even included trumpets and balloons!
But… AML is an aggressive, incurable blood cancer that becomes even harder to fight as we age, yet during the past 40 years, little progress has been made in improving survival rates for those over 60. So now what?
In hopes of buying more time to spend with his family and friends, Bill courageously chose to have a Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) in late July to replace faulty blood stem cells with healthy ones from a matched donor.
Unfortunately, the procedure is still very risky and Bill passed away from serious SCT complications on December 18, 2020. Losing him has left a big hole in our hearts but we will be forever grateful for his presence in our lives.
Please join us in celebrating Bill's life and memory. How? A few ideas are below. If you have others, let us know! For more info about any of these suggestions, email email@example.com
1) Send us a favorite story, inspirational words, or an encouraging message. Sharing what he meant to you helps all of us remember and appreciate him even more.
2) Support cutting edge research targeted at finding more effective treatment options, or reducing the risks of SCTs, or curing AML as well as innovative programs (Beat AML Master Clinical Trial "the first collaborative precision medicine clinical trial in blood cancer”) by making a donation to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), a highly regarded organization focused on curing leukemia, lymphoma and blood disorders. For more about LLS, see www.lls.org For more about easy ways to donate go to the end of this article.
3) Join us for a Celebration of Life service, at 3pm Sunday, August 15. Email me for details and to rsvp.
4) Come play golf or have lunch with us the next day! The Bill Donovan Memorial Golf Tournament will be held at the MacGregor Downs Country Club in Cary on Monday, August 16. Tournament proceeds will be donated to LLS and used to cure blood cancers so that in honor of B I L L we can all say...
Beat It Leukemia & Lymphoma!!!
DONATIONS to LLS can be made in two ways:
1.Online : Use the DONATE Button on the Tribute Page. The link is: Insert linkto the page. A 5.5% SERVICE CHARGE will be applied.
2. By Check : Mail your check to: LLS North Carolina PO Box 22443, NY NY 10087-2443 NO SERVICE CHARGES
Include a note indicating that your gift is in memory of Bill Donovan, Jr. and include our name and address: Taki Donovan 300 Bordeaux Ln Cary NC 27511
For more information about the tournament or other ways you can help, please email Taki Donovan, firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you for helping to spread the word so that Leukemia, Lymphoma and other blood disorders become a thing of the past.