On Monday, April 20, 2020, I will run the Boston Marathon to honor my mother, a survivor of Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, and I am aiming to raise $12,000 to support the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Cancer Center. When I was 12 years old, my mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodgkins and Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, a disease that took her father when she was a child. After her diagnosis and throughout the treatment, it was a very scary and difficult time for my family. I was not ready to lose my mother and I am so thankful that she received the care and support that was able to get us through that dark time.
Here are the top reasons why I am running. Will you please support my efforts so another young girl just like me won't lose her mother?
1) I am running because I want to raise money for the department responsible for my mother's treatment and health today.
2) Because my mom loves her doctors.
3) Because the Boston Marathon represents strength and resilience.
4) Because I really like pizza and this forces me to exercise.
5) Because I’m afraid of one day getting cancer too, and I want there to be a cure.
6) Because if I grew up without my mom I would’ve been a little rebel and definitely not in dental school today.
7) Because I am so incredibly grateful that my mom has survived three separate cancer diagnoses.
8) Because I want this department to keep my mom healthy for many years to come.
Please stand with me by giving generously to the BIDMC cancer center and together, we can put an end to cancer.
Team BIDMC is running to support a variety of programs, including the Cancer Center, the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, the Klarman Family Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), the Annual Fund, kidney disease research, and Bowdoin Street Health Center's Healthy Champions Program. Several of our runners are also supporting our Needham, Milton, and Plymouth affiliates. Thank you for your support!
At the BIDMC Cancer Center, gifted physicians, outstanding nurses, and dedicated staff form a team that is committed to breakthrough treatments delivered with kindness and respect. Researchers have made several discoveries that have led to greater understanding of cancer mechanisms resulting in improved and innovative cancer care. And because we have always understood the physical and emotional toll of a cancer diagnosis, our specialists take the time to listen to your concerns, answer your questions, and develop unique support systems.