On September 11, 1946, the Belchertown State School began a fundraising campaign to acquire a 1912 Stein & Goldstein carousel for the residents. The carousel was purchased in 1948 from the Forest Park Amusement Park in Palmer where it had operated from 1930 until 1947 when it was put up for sale. The carousel arrived on the state school campus on October 17, 1948 and remained there until after the state school's closure when it was auctioned off by Norton Auctioneers. Eventually the carousel was sold horse by horse to private owners.
The original Belchertown State School Friends Association disbanded after the school's closure but was revived in 2019 with the express purpose of collecting and maintaining an archive of state school history. With that goal in mind, the Friends have been searching high and low for the remaining carousel horses and have located TWO! We are very excited to have found them and are ready to bring these important pieces of BSS and town history back to Belchertown!