Downtown Buzzards Bay offers beautiful views of the Cape Cod Canal and bay, some great local restaurants, wonderful hiking trails, and a newly-renovated public park next to the railroad bridge. For twenty-five years, NMLC has been part of the Buzzards Bay community. Its building, previously a discount home improvement store, does not currently reflect the beauty of its surroundings. With community-wide efforts to upgrade the overall downtown Buzzards Bay area, NMLC would like to do its part to improve the appearance of its building and grounds. As challenging as the timing is with the pandemic, we feel that it is important to make NMLC as welcoming to visitors as possible. We will also be taking advantage of opportunities to use native plants and trees on our grounds as an educational lesson on conservation and human impact on our environment.
Specifically, the following plans are underway:
· Improvement of all landscaping on the street side of the building, including removal of trees that are invasive species and entangled in electrical wires
· Replacement of old, drafty doors and windows
· Repair/replacement of murals on the front of the building which are now faded and chipped
· Improvement of signage around the building to make them more visible
· Installation of a mural on the side of the hospital, which we hope will become a landmark in downtown Buzzards Bay Our core missions – Rehabilitation, Science and Education – are more important today than ever.
Beautification of our buildings and grounds supports that mission by drawing more people to visit our Discovery Center. It’s surprising how many people who live in the area still don’t know about us, or if they do, haven’t visited.
Our building does not reflect the good work that is done here. The estimated cost of the project is $37,000. We have several generous donors who have agreed to match any donations received specifically for the Beautification Project, up to $11,500.
Please consider making a donation toward our goal. Your help is greatly appreciated.