Help us raise $14,000 to send the Avalon High School Minnesota State Academic Decathlon Winners to the National Competition in Anchorage, Alaska on May 2-3, 2020. Donate at the link above. Donations are tax deductible.
Why Supporting Avalon Academic Decathlon Winners Makes Sense: What if…
· Communities supported academic competitions with the enthusiasm athletic competitions are supported; and/or
· Students with non-traditional and traditional academic successes were allowed to compete and succeed in an academic decathlon (hint: each decathlon team has 9 members comprised of 3 teams, which are required to have 3 members that are banded by traditional GPA results and participate not only in tests but also essays, interviews, speeches and a quiz bowl competition); and/or
· Families of students who face economic disadvantage didn’t face challenges based on their students’ participation in academic events; and/or
· Individuals decided to support a school that demonstrates inclusion and diversity are values that are worth rewarding; (Hint: Avalon is a haven for students that have not been supported in traditional settings. Avalon is remarkable because it welcomes, embraces, and benefits from kids with diverse experiences, including kids who identify as LGBTQ, kids who benefit from learning support, and kids who have been bullied or “failed” out of traditional school settings due to socio-economic and other factors)?
What You Can Do:
· Donate. Now. Every dollar matters; And/or
· Send this GoFundMe page to 5 (or more) people; And/or
· Help us with other fundraising efforts. (Contact us if you want to coordinate or help with other ways to raise the necessary funds at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Want to learn more about Academic Decathlon? Go here: https://www.usad.org/
Want to learn more about Avalon School?
· Visit the website: http://www.avalonschool.org/
· Click on "Avalon Video" on the right-hand side of this page to watch a student-created video about the school
· Read the Washington Post article about this teacher-run school: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/to-improve-schools-let-teachers-run-them/2015/01/16/9ce7f8e2-8d36-11e4-8ff4-fb93129c9c8b_story.html
Thank you for your time in reading about Avalon Decathletes and for any way you are able to help!