Join American Century Investments in their efforts to raise crucial funds in support of American Cancer Society Hope Lodge Jerome L. Greene Family Center in NYC.
The American Cancer Society Hope Lodge program provides a free home away from home for cancer patients and their caregivers. More than just a roof over their heads, it’s a nurturing community that helps patients access the care they need. Each Hope Lodge community offers a supportive, homelike environment where guests can share a meal, join in the evening’s activities, or unwind in their own private room. Patients staying at a Hope Lodge must be in active cancer treatment and permanently reside more than 40 miles away from their cancer treatment center.
The NYC Hope Lodge, which opened in 2007, offers 60 guest rooms located near treatment centers in the area. The lodge offers:
- A supportive environment for patients in cancer treatment and their caregivers
- Close proximity to local cancer treatment centers
- Private guest rooms and bathrooms
- Fully equipped community kitchens for food storage and preparation
- Gathering areas/great rooms and community dining rooms
- Free laundry rooms stocked with supplies
- Outdoor, reflection, or meditation spaces
- A library and/or resource rooms
- TVs and computer access
- Dedicated volunteers helping to ensure a comfortable stay for our guests and frequently cook/provide meals
- Committed staff members providing a nurturing and safe environment for guests
In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, ACS suspended Hope Lodge operations on March 27, 2020, because we could no longer ensure the health and safety of our immune-compromised cancer patient residents, volunteers, and staff.
As of now, we do not yet have a reopening date for our NYC Hope Lodge Facility but know that it is imminent. As we await guidance from state and local officials, our staff has developed reopening plans for all our Lodges across the nation. These plans include making the Lodge ready to meet any and all safety requirements and preparing for the increased cleaning and safety measures that will be needed on an ongoing basis to help ensure the safety of our guests and staff.
Right now, our NYC Hope Lodge is in need of your support to raise crucial funds in order to help us cover the additional expenses involved with safely reopening to patients. Ongoing expenses related to COVID-19 will begin in 2020 and continue to be incurred annually until the virus is under control. These expenses include: Purchase of FDA-approved paper face masks for all patients and caregivers, thermometers for patient, caregiver, and staff screening, distribution and upkeep of hand sanitizer stations throughout the facility, and ongoing sanitation practices as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and local public health agencies.