Amelia will be particapting in the 15th annual fundraiser: The Great PUCS Serve-A-Thon, is this week! This exciting adventure of service to our community in which the Lord has so graciously placed us has proven to be our most successful opportunity to raise money for general school support and scholarship. The purpose of The Great PUCS Serve-A-Thon is twofold:
1) Our students, staff and volunteers will serve the community by picking up litter in Wilkinsburg, thereby preventing it from entering the Nine Mile Run Watershed. As there is less litter in our community (woot! woot!), we are excited about collaborating with local organizations on these service projects (NEW this year!) :
- Pittsburgh Learning Commons at Community Forge - Weed and plant at Community Forge. Clean the playground.
- Hamnett Place Community Garden - Lay compost and mulch on fruit trees and garden hedge, replanting a small garden bed that creates a pollinator-friendly environment and visually appealing space, painting signs to help identify various parts of the community garden and to welcome community members.
- Center for Civic Arts - Design and paint mural on Ferguson Playground wall.
- Sleeping Octopus - Deconstruct and properly plant 10-15 planters on the property. Reseed and reinforce a pollinator swale reinforce, spread straw.
- Covenant Reformed Presbyterian Church in Wilkinsburg has a garden lot right next door and it needs some TLC getting ready for spring.
2) We will raise much needed funds for general school support and for our scholarship fund. While the Development Office does this excellently and year-round, this is the only opportunity that we really ALL get to rally behind PUCS and share our vision. This school year, PUCS awarded over $350,000 in financial aid; without it, many of our students could not have attended PUCS.