In May of 2016, LifeStraw initiated a safe water program for schools in Rajasthan, India with a distribution of 100 LifeStraw Community purifiers, reaching over 8,000 school children. Each LifeStraw Community purifier serves 75-100 school children and lasts 3-5 years.
WHY WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT: your donation would help us to continue to scale this program to other schools in this region.
- The area we are targeting is Rajasthan
- In addition to delivering high-volume water purifiers to schools, our local staff provide comprehensive hygiene and sanitation education. This includes teaching healthy behaviors such as handwashing, providing materials to each school including an initial supply of soap for handwashing, and supporting the creation and/or strengthening of school health, hygiene and sanitation clubs.
A Serious Need:
- Globally, 2.5 million kids miss school each day due to illnesses from unsafe water.
- In India, 95% of schools have drinking water facilities, but the water is not safe to drink.
- Microbiological contamination of drinking water is a serious problem in India, especially in our program location of Rajasthan. Only 46% of schools in Rajasthan have drinking water facilities on the school premise, one of the lowest figures in all of India.