Habitat for Humanity – MidOhio brings people together to inspire hope, build homes, empower families and develop communities.
In the Columbus area, the demand for affordable housing far outpaces the inventory. Habitat MidOhio offers programs designed to be a hand up, not a handout, to families in need. Through hard work, commitment, and hundreds of hours of sweat equity, Habitat MidOhio partner families are breaking the cycle of poverty through homeownership and creating a brighter future for their children.
Your fundraising dollars at work:
- 24 Hours of Hockey for Habitat raises funds and awareness to help local veterans and low-income families achieve or save the dream of homeownership.
- Since 1987 Habitat MidOhio has served over 500 families and served over 100 in fiscal year 2019.
- Included in that number are many veterans who have benefited from the Veterans Build Program, which honors the brave men and women who have served in the armed forces with a discount on their mortgage or home repair costs based on years of service.
- Since the start of 24 Hours of Hockey for Habitat 15 local veterans have benefited from the Habitat for Humanity MidOhio Veterans Build Program.
Habitat focuses on creating and preserving safe, affordable homes because of the numerous studies and research that correlate the effects of substandard housing on the overall quality of life for its residents and children’s ability to succeed. However, there is still much work to be done and we need your help.
- In our Columbus service area, the demand for affordable housing far outpaces the inventory.
- It would take an additional 43,000 units of affordable housing to meet the needs of low and very-low-income residents in our community
- In our service area 35% of residents live below the poverty line and 50.4% pay more than 35% of their income on housing.
- There are an estimated 1,183 Ohio veterans who are homeless and over 60,000 live in poverty.
- Another 138,497 Ohio Veterans live in homes with one or more major problems (quality, crowding, or cost).