Stage IV lung cancer patient vows to raise $50k for lung cancer research, awareness and survivorship.
My name is Lisa Moran. I am originally from Kettering, OH and currently living in Colorado Springs, CO.
In August 2015, during Browns preseason football, I went from living an athletic, healthy life to being diagnosed with incurable, metastatic, stage IV lung cancer. At the time of my diagnosis, the cancer had already spread throughout both of my lungs and to my spine.
I had no known risk factors for the disease. Almost everyone associates smoking with the only cause of lung cancer. The fact is, anyone with lungs is at risk for lung cancer. I am a non smoker with late stage lung cancer. There are many known causes for lung cancer. Risk factors for lung cancer include environmental factors. radon, occupational exposures to carcinogens (veterans and firefighters), family history and passive smoking (secondhand smoke).
I am proof that lung cancer research saves lives. I have been living with stage IV lung cancer since 2015. Because of lung cancer research, I am living a fairly normal life with a terminal disease. My cancer is driven by the EGFR genomic mutation. Doctors were able to identify that gene and prescribe an existing targeted therapy chemotherapy to keep my lung cancer from spreading. But lung cancer is smart and finds ways to resist treatments that previously worked. I had cancer progression in January 2018. There was a second FDA approved treatment available to me. I’m on that treatment today and just years ago it wouldn’t have been an option.
At the end of the 2018/2019 season I was so convinced the Cleveland Browns would go from last place to Super Bowl LIV champions that I committed to competing in this year’s Lung Cancer Survivors Super Bowl Challenge and reaching a fundraising goal of $50,000. As we approach the end of regular season football, a Browns trip to the Super Bowl may not happen but my fundraising will continue. I have until December 30, 2019 to reach my $50k fundraising goal and possibly earn a trip to Super BowlLIV in Miami, FL.
Please help me reach or exceed my $50K fundraising goal. When I raise over $5,000, 90% of my final fundraising total ($50K) will be donated to Lung Cancer Colorado Fund Dr.Camidge and Dr. Doebele’s teams are researching and developing groundbreaking lung cancer treatments that are benefiting lung cancer patients worldwide. The remaining 10% will go to Team Draft to continue promoting lung cancer awareness and lung cancer survivorship. Thank you, Peace, lungs & happiness~Lisa Moran
Atlanta, GA. Team Draft 6th annual Lung Cancer Survivors Super Bowl Challenge will kick off on November 1, 2019. This unique fund raising challenge gives lung cancer survivors the opportunity to raise funds for public awareness and cutting-edge research that is giving new hope to those battling this often misunderstood disease. The top three fundraisers, will be announced on December 30, 2019.
The survivors will have an opportunity to share their powerful stories with key individuals with influence from across the country.
The lung cancer survivors that raise over $5,000 will be able to designated a beneficiary (Cancer Center or LC Organization) that will receive 90% of their raised funds (-fees) and the remaining 10% will support Team Draft’s mission to change the face of lung cancer.
About Team Draft
Team Draft, an initiative of the Chris Draft Family Foundation, is dedicated to raising lung cancer awareness and increasing research funding by shattering the misconception that lung cancer is a “smoker’s disease.” Despite the fact that between 20,000 and 30,000 people who have never smoked are diagnosed with lung cancer in the United States each year, the smoking stigma negatively impacts lung cancer research funding, Team Draft is out to change all that. To learn more about Team Draft, share your story, or make a donation, please visit www.teamdraft.org.