Team Angie won this year's Super Bowl Challenge, and Angie will be representing lung cancer survivors at the 2020 Super Bowl in Miami! Although Angie won the challenge, the fundraiser is not over. Team Angie will continue to raise funds until the day after the Super Bowl. Read more below about Angie and the fundraiser.
As many of you know, Angie was diagnosed with Stage IV non-small cell lung cancer just over one year ago and we have been battling every day since. After much thought and research, we have teamed up with the Chris Draft Family Foundation for our fundraiser. Chris Draft is a former NFL player who lost his 37 year-old wife, Lakeasha, to lung cancer in 2011. Like Angie, she was a healthy, non-smoker who was hit with the disease in the prime of her life. Chris has done an amazing job using his relationship with NFL to promote the need for lung cancer research and dispel the stigma surrounding the disease. Angie has already been working with Chris to support the Foundation’s relationship with Department of Veteran Affairs as a disproportionate number of veterans are afflicted with lung cancer.
Unlike many cancer charities, this fundraiser allows Angie to direct where 90% of the funds raised will go and the remaining 10% are used to support the Draft Foundation’s efforts.
Angie has selected the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance/Fred Hutch Research Center as the recipient of the funds she raises. Not only has the their work helped to prolong Angie’s life, but the SCCA's CAR-T therapy saved the life of Angie’s father, who suffers from Leukemia. Knowing that these research dollars could have a direct impact on Angie’s survival is extremely important and meaningful to us.
Many of you have asked how you can help Angie, and this is the most important thing we can do for her. We understand that everyone’s situation is different, but every dollar matters. Thank you for your support as we work to change the face of lung cancer! Please SHARE!