I'm planning to run away because truthfully I think they wouldn't care at all. I'll just fade away from their minds just like that. I've cut myself so deep but the next day nothing. I've cried myself to sleep trying to figure out what's wrong with me. – posted on the NRS’ Forum October 2015
1.6 million youth will run away in a year. Each youth will decide being on the street is better than being at home. He or she may believe that no one cares. And no matter what the home situation is for each of these 1.6 million youth, the National Runaway Safeline (NRS) knows for certain someone does cares. We care! NRS cares about keeping youth safe and off the streets.
Since 1971, NRS has been caring for youth in crisis. We have been providing service for multiple generations of young people. Although our concern has always been on keeping youth safe and off the streets, our service delivery has changed over the last forty years. Technology allows us to communicate with youth in ways that are more meaningful and accessible for them. We aren’t just a call center. As the federally-designated communication system for runaway and homeless youth, NRS has become a state-of-the-art crisis hotline and online center. Youth can call 1-800-RUNAWAY, click on 1800RUNAWAY.org or text 66008 and access help. We are here 24/7/365. And we care!
Please join us in supporting our nation’s youth with a gift.
- $25 ensures three youth organizations receive free NRS’ materials promoting 1-800-RUNAWAY hotline and 1800RUNAWAY.org online services.
- $100 pays a call center supervisor’s salary for the day.
- $500 helps a frontline team member, in conjunction with Greyhound Lines, book a Home Free ticket for a youth.
- $1,000 provides 40 hours of crisis intervention training for a new volunteer.
- $5,000 supports 24-hours in our crisis hotline and online center.
- $10,000 makes technical support available for teachers, across the country, utilizing NRS’ free Let’s Talk: Runaway Prevention Curriculum.
Please consider the National Runaway Safeline with an end of the year, tax deductible donation. With your support, NRS will continue to help keep America’s runaway, homeless and at-risk youth safe and off the streets.