Erected in 1888, Mount Zion Lutheran Church sits high on the hill at the corner of 145th Street and Convent Avenue in Harlem. The building was designed by Joseph Wolf and built on land that was previously owned by Alexander Hamilton. The Church sits in the middle of the Sugar Hill /Hamilton Heights Landmark District. The church is very different from many stately churches in the neighborhood. One might say that it is a little country church located in the heart of the City. The structure originally housed the Hamilton Grange Reform Church then in 1906 was occupied by St. Matthews German Evangelical Church (the oldest Lutheran Church in North America). Mt. Zion purchased the building in 1947 from the Missouri Synod of Lutheran Churches, which had taken title to property in 1946.
After 132 years, the Church is in desperate need of foundation and exterior work. We have begun a massive restoration project that will include the work mentioned above along with electrical and plumbing upgrades, installation of an HVAC system, a new front door and an ADA ramp. The Congregation has worked very hard to finance this project but needless to say this is tremendous undertaking. We have received tremendous assistance from the New York Landmarks Conservancy’s Sacred Sites Program. On May 4, Mount Zion was approved for a $50,000 matching grant to start with some of the renovations, but we must match that amount to receive the money. You can help us make this restoration a reality.