BENEFITING: MOTHERS2MOTHERS INTERNATIONAL INC
ORGANIZER: MOTHERS2MOTHERS INTERNATIONAL INC
MOTHERS2MOTHERS INTERNATIONAL INC wrote -
Losing one child is tragic; losing two is unimaginable. That is what Johanna Satekge, who tested HIV+ while pregnant, had to face -- two babies dying helplessly in her arms of illnesses related to HIV. Working now as a Mentor Mother at mothers2mothers (m2m), Johanna’s mission is to make sure that no mother in her South African community has to go through the same anguish. Just $10/£5 can help Johanna educate and support one HIV+ woman through her pregnancy so she can keep her baby HIV-free. Meet Johanna and hear her story.
While paediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in resource rich countries, almost 600 children are still infected each day in sub-Saharan Africa. What’s so tragic is this is preventable -- no baby has to be born with HIV and no mother has to die of AIDS. Effective and inexpensive medical interventions are available that can keep mothers healthy and babies free of HIV.
Johanna and her fellow Mentor Mothers provide essential health education and support to almost 100,000 women each year so they can protect their babies from HIV infection and stay healthy.
- Just $25/£15… can fund one month of nutritious meals so that HIV+ women can stay healthy during their pregnancy.
- $50/£30... can pay for three months of telephone support to ensure women and their babies access critical medical treatment so important for their health.
- $100/£60… can purchase two mobile phones that Mentor Mothers like Johanna use to follow up with clients and record important data.
- $500/£300... can help train two women living with HIV in Swaziland on the latest in HIV care so they can work as Mentor Mothers.
- $1,000/£600... can create client education cards for five m2m sites to provide women with easy-to-understand information they need to keep themselves and their families healthy.
With your support, we can meet our goal for the Skoll Social Entrepreneurs Challenge of raising $150,000 (or £100,000 for our friends in the UK), which can employ 90 Mentor Mothers for one year, bringing health and hope to thousands of HIV+ women and their babies. Your support can also unlock some of the $3 million in prize money that the generous folks at the Skoll Foundation have pledged to organisations that do well in this challenge.
What we do: At m2m, we believe in the power of women to eliminate paediatric AIDS and create health and hope for themselves and their babies, families, and communities. We train, employ, and empower mothers living with HIV to work alongside doctors and nurses in understaffed health centres and provide essential health education and psychosocial support to other women. They are rigorously trained and paid, which benefits not only their respective families but also the community as a whole and reduces stigma associated with HIV.
Since our founding, we have reached more than 1.2 million HIV-positive mothers in nine countries in sub-Saharan Africa. mothers2mothers is a leader in the global effort to eliminate new HIV infections among children and protect the health of mothers.
Please donate or become a member of our fundraising team today.
Together we can create an HIV-free generation!