Merrick's Walk for EDIN
EVENT DATE: Oct 05, 2014
FUNDRAISER SET UP DEADLINE: Oct 05, 2014
- October 5th, Check-in at 1:00, Walk at 2:00
- 215 West Wieuca Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30342
If you are having problems with online registration, please call Crowdrise customer service at 248-291-6897 or email Quintas@CrowdRise.com.
Merrick’s Walk for EDIN is a 2.7 mile walk around Chastain Park with the following purposes:
- to raise awareness of eating disorders,
- to remember those who have lost their battle with an eating disorder, and
- to raise funds for the Eating Disorders Information Network (EDIN) and its prevention programs in schools and the community of Atlanta.
The event began in 2001 in honor of Merrick Ryan, a 19-year old Galloway alum who died from complications of anorexia.
This year, the theme for Merrick’s Walk for EDIN is “more than a number.” The meaning of this theme is twofold. Statistics about deaths resulting from eating disorders, although shocking, can be impersonal and allow us to feel detached from the issue. We want to make it known that individuals like Merrick are more than a statistic. The theme also promotes the idea that in such a health- and weight-conscious society, we are more than our measurements, our weight, or the calories that we consume. Our value cannot be defined by a number.
Please join us in our mission to spread eating disorder awareness and promote our prevention efforts in Atlanta. Thank you for your support!