Wise Heart Community via Crowdrise
May 22, 2014
May is Melanoma Awareness Month. Please join the Wise Heart Community this May in supporting the White Aisle Foundation's Move against Melanoma campaign by participating in Malas to Cure Melanoma.
Date: Saturday, May 17th
Time: noon until 7 p.m.
- Noon – 1 p.m.: Welcome, introductions, overview of sun salutations & modifications
- 1 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.: Mala of sun salutations practice
- 5 – 7 p.m.: 108 minutes of kirtan
Silent auction and sale, refreshments, free sunscreen and skin care products, sun safety tips throughout the day
Location: Ruscombe Community Health Center
Sponsors and corporate donors:
- Ruscombe Community Health Center
- W.C. Badger Company
- Diane J. Orlinsky, M.D., F.A.A.D.
What we are doing and why we are doing it:
108 is an auspicious number in Yogic tradition. Mantras are traditionally chanted 108 times, using mala beads to keep count. Yogis also regard the sun with reverence, viewing it as not only the source of light and life for our planet but as a powerful symbol of the divine Light within us all. But the sun can be a dangerous friend. Exposure to the sun without adequate protection can lead to skin cancer, including melanoma. The practice of Surya Namaskara, sun salutation, is at its heart a prayer to the sun. At our Malas to Cure Melanoma event, we will complete a mala of 108 sun salutations to invoke the healing qualities of the sun and chant mantras for protection from its dangers, while raising money to help the White Aisle Foundation fund melanoma research.
How to participate:
- Commit to completing an entire or partial mala of Sun Salutations (modified and chair versions are fine), or
- Commit to chanting one or more malas of mantras, or
- Commit to participating in 108 minutes of kirtan
Sign up here and create your own fundraising page. Tell your friends what you are doing and ask them to sponsor you. Everyone raising at least $108 will receive a commemorative gift!
Where and when to participate:
- Join us at Ruscombe Community Health on Sunday, May 17, or form a team at your own studio and host your own event any time during May.
- If you can't make it to an organized event, do your practice at home! Use this site to create a fundraising page, post photos and report your progress if you are practicing on your own.
Other ways to get involved:
- Sponsor one of our participants
- Sponsor our event at the $108 level: sponsors are invited to display their promotional materials at our event and will have their names featured on our promotional materials.
- Donate goods or services to our silent auction.
- Stop by on May 17th and support our team from the sidelines. Bid at our silent auction, shop at our sale, sing with us at kirtan.
- Spread the word!