Let the fighting begin for Andy Jennings & family

Organized by: Anna Marie

Anna's Photo


Below is an excerpt from an update on the family's website @

by The Jennings and Family

We hope everyone is enjoying their summer, I know we are!!! Andy had his last round (6) of this particular combo of chemotherapy (Carboplatin, Alimta &Tarceva;) yesterday and will continue his next round of "maintenance" chemo (Alimta & Tarceva) on 9/5/2014. This particular combo of chemo will be continued indefinitely until they find it isn't being effective. This determination will be based on his every 8-10 weeks of CT/Bone scans.

That being said, we did not recieve the news we were hoping for yesterday regarding his brain MRI. Andy's 2 tumors, in his brain, have continued to grow, show swelling and the one that is most concerning is located in his right frontal lobe. The swelling and growth has increased to the point where it is literally pushing his right side of brain into the left side. Because Andy is young, relatively healthy (other than the obvious) and only showing what they consider "milder" symptoms (he isnt showing signs of dangerous/acute headaches, seizures, weakness of any extremity, severe balance and memory issues), they are allowing us to go on vacation as planned and meet with a neurosurgeon when we get home. This is some good news that we are attempting to focus on.

We were given 2 options to start to think about and honestly, until we meet with the neurosurgeon who is reviewing our case while we are gone, we don't know if the 1st option is plausable yet. Both of these options also mean Andy will have to stop his chemotherapy for 9-12 weeks. (risk of resistance or new growth back to lungs-but small risk according to his Dr.'s)
Option #1 -(recommended by both Andy's oncologist and radiation oncologist)- A neurosurgeon, Dr.Boev ( he did Andy's stereotactic radiosurgery last year) will remove at least the right frontal lobe tumor (which is biggest and has worse possible side effects), if not both tumors. This means major brain surgery for Andy, but if the neurosurgeon is able to do it, will add quality/quantity to Andy's life without major neurological problems. Obviously, there are risks to any and all surgeries. We have to wait to speak with neurosurgeon about many things, if this surgery can even be done, if he can operate on Andy's brain/skull etc based on previous radiation therapies and if he can resect/remove tumors without any major complications. This is what was explained to us and recommended if it's able to be done.

Option #2- Stereotactic Radiotherapy- similar to what Andy had last September (Radiosurgery,halo and direct hit of radiation to spots in brain)-but this would be no halo, but a mask, direct radiation to those 2 particular spots, everyday over 3-5 days straight. This procedure did not work on Andy last year as they expected (shrinking), but did stunt the growth for a while.

So you all know what we know right now and we just have to wait to meet with the neurosugeon once we get back from our much need vacation in Myrtle Beach. Thank god Andy's mom has a place there that we are able to utilize. Andy's oncologist and nurse navigator will be working on setting up appointments with Dr.Boev, scans etc while we are gone and contact me while in Myrtle...I will update you all once we know and get home. Please continue your prayers and positive thoughts, we need and appreciate them all!!!!! Thank you all for your support and enjoy the rest of this very short summer!

Jen and Andy



0% Raised of$10,000 Goal

  • Cara Levy


Organized by

Anna Marie

This is a direct to organizer fundraiser.

Donor Comments

Cara Levy

Cara Levy


It's not much, but I hope this helps... 6 years ago

Report this page — Let Us Know if you think this page is breaking the law or the GoFundMe Charity Terms