Cheryl Williams wrote -
Why shouldn't all children with special needs SHINE? The Shine Project Foundation aims to make that happen. Our mission is to connect families that have children, teens, and adults with special needs and communities by partnering with local businesses and organizations to provide enrichment opportunities, resources, and support to give them a better quality of life and spread awareness for this population.
Our vision is to provide specialized enrichment events to help facilitate communication, build friendships, develop personal interests, creativity, recreational, vocational, and life skills in a safe, fun, and structured environment.
The funds raised will go towards the development and implementation of the Signature Shine Projects below and specific items listed. Most of our events are free for families or have a nomimal fee. Our hope is to raise funds to cover tuition expenses and any other supports needed to help children with special needs access their community and have fun.
1. Beach Fun Day - This is day of free fun in the sun with professional surf instruction, water and sensory sand play, games on the beach, and yoga and movement with volunteers and typical peer buddies. We also provide healthy snacks and a catered lunch. We are currently providing this event at Moonlight Beach, Encinitas, CA, Croatan Beach, Virginia Beach, VA, Playa Avellanas, Costa Rica, and hopefully for other coastal communities.
2. Arts Showcase and Dance - This event involves partnering with local performing and fine arts studios who provide specialized inclusive and or accommodate classes and programs for children with special needs. We give children with special needs the opportunity to perform and showcase their talents. We also provide food and drinks, and have dance party the last hour.
3. Field day and Picnic - This event gives families to come together to meet each other, share in a potluck, and participate in old school Field Day games.
4. Discovery Art Camp- This camp is provided by the partnership of Coastal Music Studios and local art, dance, and music teachers. It is open to all children with special needs. Here, they have an opportunity to try our different activities in art, music, and dance. We have local volunteers to assist all campers. There is a registration fee but our hope is to raise enough funds to cover the tuition for all of our students, $250 per camper with 10 max.
5. 2 Adaptive water floatation wheelchairs, 15 children and adults life jackets, portable PA system, goodie bags, and event tshirts.
6. Any projects that would enhance the lives of children with special needs.
Please consider making a donation to our SHINE Giving Fund. With your contribution, you will help us to help all children with special needs SHINE!