BENEFITING: JUNIOR LEAGUE OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK INC
ORGANIZER: JUNIOR LEAGUE OF THE CITY OF NEW YORK INC
EVENT DATE: Nov 06, 2016
Thank you for visiting my fundraiser page! I'm so proud to be raising money for the New York Junior League (NYJL), an organization of women committed to promoting volunteerism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers.
I ran my first half marathon in March of 2015 and in a post-half endorphin high, I promised myself that I would complete the New York Road Runners 9+1 New York City Marathon qualification program and run this city that I’ve called home for the past 8 years in 2016.
As for why I’m choosing to run as a member of #TeamNYJL? Well there are a couple of reasons for that:
- As the on-staff Communications Associate for the NYJL, I was able to work with the 2015 NYJL Marathon Team and when I realized how much these women were enjoying their experience; I knew that I would be a member of the 2016 #TEAMNYJL.
- Through my role, I’m uniquely privileged to see a 360 degree view of this organization and the incredible work that our 2800+ volunteers do:
- They give more than 250,000 hours of their time annually to this city that we care so much about, providing a positive force for change through direct service, collaborations with other community organizations, and advocacy. Our community programs directly address critical, social issues including domestic violence, foster care, juvenile justice, teen self-esteem, and literacy, among others.
- They support and train each other and members of the greater New York City nonprofit community, bringing in outside speakers to provide their fellow volunteers with actionable professional development opportunities that they can use both in their community placements and their day to day jobs and hosting external trainings through three signature initiatives.
- They fundraise so we can further expand our mission of improving the lives of women, families, and children in New York City.
These women do incredible things and I am so privileged to partner with them and learn from them each and every day.
I’m both terrified and excited about running my first marathon, but I know that on November 6th, I’ll be fueled by the energy of New York City, my amazing family and friends that I can’t wait to look for on the course and the knowledge that I’ve done some good while I’ve trained.
Stay tuned here and on my Instagram as I train throughout the summer and the fall and thank you for your support!