BENEFITING: Laureate Institute for Brain Research
ORGANIZER: THE IRONMAN FOUNDATION
I AM RACING THE IM WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP
- because I can and am motivated by those who can’t
- with purpose in hopes that I can raise awareness
- to give a voice to those without
- for those affected by mental illness and their families
- because I have seen the effects of this disease on my family, my friends and the community
- to help those afflicted with mental illness help themselves. That is the purpose of The Laureate Institute of Brain Research (LIBR), a research organization rooted in Tulsa, Oklahoma, founded by my family’s Foundation and teamed with investigators from all over the world.
In 2012, the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) estimated that 43.7 million adults aged 18 or older in the U.S. had a mental, behavioral, or emotional disorder. This represented 18.6 percent of all U.S. adults.
And, major mental disorders cost the nation at least $193 billion annually in lost earnings alone per NIMH funded study, May 7, 2008, American Journal of Psychiatry.
Laureate Institute for Brain Research http://www.laureateinstitute.org/
LIBR is a pioneering, not-for-profit, scientific research institute that focuses on discovering brain-based technologies to improve mental health. The team is currently identifying whether brain imaging, behavioral tests, or biological makers can be used to match patients to specific treatments with the goal of personalized mental health care. LIBR is the only organization in the world that is committed to empowering a person to heal themselves or providing new tools for psychiatrists to help others.
LIBR is unique in a number of different ways.
- It challenges its scientists to think outside the box.
- It closely works with the Laureate Psychiatric Clinic and Hospital next door to develop new treatments for psychiatric patients.
- It has one of the best brain imaging facilities in the country to study the living brain.
All proceeds will go diectly to LIBR research. Thank you for the consideration!