BENEFITING: HEAL Raising Our World Foundation, Inc.
EVENT DATE: Jul 05, 2015
This summer, Jenn and Seneca will trek up Mount Kenya, the second tallest mountain in Africa. Their five day hike is a fundraiser to help support the children at Rapha Community Center in Nyahururu, Kenya.
With your donation, you will support some of the following upcoming projects at the center:
1) Installing a biogas system to produce clean fuel in the center's kitchen through the use of animal waste, eliminating the use and expense of firewood.
2) Purchasing cows for milk, eliminating reliance on an outside vendor
3) Purchasing chickens for eggs, eliminating reliance on an outside vendor
4) Construction of a cow shed to collect animal waste for a new biogas system
5) Construction of a office / library for Rapha Secondary School
6) Finishing work including painting of girl's dormitory
Jenn and Seneca met their first day at Wagner College after finding they shared a prospective double major (International Affairs and French) and volunteer position in the community.
While many of their interests overlapped, their spare time was spent quite differently: Seneca spent time learning about spreadsheets via internships in New York City; Jenn decided to take her second trip to Africa and volunteer at an orphanage in Kenya.
In spring 2007, when she returned, Jenn had an aim in mind: to start her own orphanage in Kenya.
Less than a year later, Jenn successfully filed for 501(c)(3) status for HEAL Raising Our World Foundation, Inc., her nonprofit organization. HEAL now supports 50 children at the Rapha Community Center in Nyahururu, Kenya.
And after years of pretending to provide back-office support, Seneca finally got her Yellow Fever vaccine and is visiting the orphanage this summer.
For more information visit: www.healraisingourworld.org