The Charter High School for Law and Social Justice (the "School") needs your help!
After many years of planning, the School first opened its doors on September 9, 2015, in the Bronx to provide traditionally underserved communities with a high-quality education using the power of law to promote social change. At the School, we are furnishing our scholars a pathway to college, graduate school, and careers in the legal profession. The School is thriving, but we need your support to provide our students with the opportunities they need to succeed in life.
Some background about our student body and why we desperately need your support:
Our scholars come from one of the poorest congressional districts in the nation with the highest unemployment rate of any congressional district.
- 94% of our scholars are eligible for free or reduced lunch.
- Our community school district in the Bronx (CSD 10) had the most homeless students last year, with 10,548 more than any other CSD in New York City. More than 10% of our scholars are homeless, and more than 60% are from single-family households.
- 16% of our scholars receive special education services.
- 18% of our scholars are English Language Learners, and more than 80% are from Spanish-speaking homes.
- 65 % of our ninth graders entered in 2019 behind in Math and English by 2-6 years.
In 2019, the graduation rate for our first graduating class was 84%, compared with 64% in CSD 10.
Currently, 35% of the Class of 2020 is taking college courses at Bronx Community College, and so far, 75% of the Class of 2020 has been accepted by a college. Many of our scholars are the first in their families to graduate high school and go onto college.
As you can see, we are making a difference!
An important part of our program is our "Summer Bridge," which requires all our new ninth graders to spend part of July in a law program that engages students in trials and legislative simulations and acclimates the new students to our school theme of law and social justice. Law students from New York Law School teach this innovative and unique two-week summer bridge program. We need to continue this vital part of our program and are asking you to help.
Thank you for your generous support.
Please visit our school website, www.chslsj.org, to learn more about the great things happening at Law and Social Justice.