It doesn't happen often
March 15, 2016
Free To Run Inc. wrote -
On 20 March 2016, a joint team of young athletes from Afghanistan, the USA and beyond will compete in the United Airlines New York City Half Marathon, honouring Free to Run's Afghan ambassadors and programme participants who break barriers every day by defying danger and humiliation to pursue their passion and engage in sports and running. The FREE TO RUN A HALF Team Challenge is Free to Run’s first team fundraiser that takes place in the US at an event of this size. Team members will compete to raise a total of $20,000 to support Free to Run athletes in Afghanistan.
Why join the FREE TO RUN A HALF Team Challenge?
- The ability to participate in sport and physical education is increasingly well-recognized as a fundamental right in itself.
- Unfortunately, in many areas of the world, there are few opportunities to participate in sport or engage in many other aspects of public life, particularly for women and girls who are often restricted as a result of widespread discrimination and traditional cultural beliefs about female roles.
- Targeted violence against female public officials, dismal healthcare and desperate poverty make Afghanistan the world's most dangerous country in which to be born a woman, according to a global survey published in 2011.
- Women in Afghanistan face violence on a daily basis. In 2014, the Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission registered 2,026 cases of violence against women—a 15.8 percent increase from two years earlier. 162 women were beaten to death, with 92 of those incidents described as honor killings.
- Nine out of ten girls and women have been harassed at least once.
- Afghanistan ranks 171 on UNDP's Human Development Report.
Support the event by making a donation today:
$30 buy a set of running clothes
$50 buy a pair of running shoes
$100 buy much needed equipment for Free to Run's gym stock room
$250 buy ten boxing or yoga classes for abused women in a Kabul shelter
$500 support ten hiking sessions for high school girls in the Central Highlands Region
$750 Ambassador Sponsor
$1000 help rehabilitate the basketball court in a girls' high school
About the United Airlines NYC Half: The 2016 United Airlines NYC Half will take runners from around the city and the globe on a 13.1-mile tour of NYC. Led by a talent-packed roster of American and international elites, runners will stop traffic in Manhattan, from Central Park through Times Square to South Street Seaport!
For more information, contact us at email@example.com or go to www.freetorun.org